Hi there

• oscar the grouch
  • oscar the grouch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

oscar the grouch created the topic: Hi there

Hi I am new the to world of Oscars. I have 1 albino Oscar about 3.5 inches long,we decided not to get a pair for fear they would end up fighting,and I can't just run out and get another 55 gallon set up,plus we know he will need bigger in the future.My hubby and I did a lot of research and planning before getting him,read this site alot thank you!,We have had Cichlids for a very long time now.He is a very happy guy,doesn't mind us doing much in or with his tank,cleaning or anything. Pretty easy going,rather likes us to be around him,but here is the thing. I know this is crazy EVERY NIGHT around 9:00 he huddles in the corner of his tank,starts staring towards the top,and bam jumps up and hits the top,he will wiggle nothing but his little tail and darts up and bam hits the top of the tank.When he first did it we thought he wanted the lights off,so we started turning them off earlier,Hubby jokes and says we need to get him a pull cord to turn on and off his light.So the next time he did it we thought there might be a bug or something no light on....there is nothing there.It is sort of cute,but I am scared he is going to get hurt,huddling in the very corner to bump his head. I mean you can see the determination in his little eyes of when he is fixing to huddle and jump.We don't know what to do,he can't get out the whole top is covered,any idea's?Water is 78,we tested everything is in a normal range.
Thank You in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Hi there

Welcome to the forum/website. Young Oscars are incredibly greedy and will lurch at any food. They move around the tank incredibly quickly to get the food so they sometimes bang themselves, there is really nothing you can do about this. I always remember when I first got my Oscars, every now and then we would hear a big bang. It turned out it was the Oscars whacking the lid of the tank. They actually get it so hard it lifted up. Luckily it wasn't very heavy. I wouldn't worry too much, he may scratch himself or end up with a few bruises, but I very much doubt he is going to cause themselves serious damage. Just make sure you haven't got any jagged rocks/slate in a tank that he could hurt himself on. In six months time, he will be around 7 inches and his behaviour will probably slow down to what it is now. Just let him get on with it.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• oscar the grouch
  • oscar the grouch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

oscar the grouch replied the topic: Re:Hi there

Thank You!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Hi there

You are quite welcome

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds