Howdy, from Tampa

• Camo Grouch
  • Camo Grouch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Camo Grouch created the topic: Howdy, from Tampa

Ok, so first off, I know I am overstocked, nothing I can do about it at the moment until I get my wife a new tank (house) currently I live in a condo. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. This is the biggest tank I have owned with the exception of an outdoor pond. This all started the beginning of the year when I acquired a 10 gallon tank for free. I then acquired a few more 10 gallon tanks and accessories all for free. I started out with some mosquito fish I caught in and around my area. I just used a scoop net and I ended up with about a dozen fish. Then after my wife saw what I had done for free, I kept the tank at work, she bought me a tiger oscar for my birthday. This was both a blessing and a curse, as I knew he would nees a much bigger tank, but she did not, she thought he would grow to the size of the tank and it would be fine. I explained to her that he needed a bigger tank and eventually she agreed and we reached an agreement on a petco sale, 40 gallon breeder tank. But not before he ate almost all of his tankmates. And then his 10 gallon sprang a leak overnight while he was still at my office. I got to work monday morning to find about 5 gallons of water on the desk and floor. He survived. Also in between time, a friend gave us another 10 gallon glow fish tank with filter and all the accessories to include a few glow fish, some neons, and a Japanese dojo weather loach. Oscar has since eaten all but the loach, now known as Dojo.
For filtration, a friend gave me 2 emperor 400 filters. One happen to be missing the bio wheels, but they came with the gray filter baskets, so now I have some filter floss and some pot scrubbers in there. The other has the filter floss and biowheels.

I am currently in search of a better way to complete water changes, as of now it consist of a 5 gallon bucket and trucking the dirty water to the bathroom and then getti g clean water from the kitchen sink. There has got to be a better way... oh and cheap too because I am still fighting my ex wife for custody of my 8 yr old son. This is the primary reason we are still in our condo as opposed to a house. Oh and I am not sure the condo would hold a bigger tank with out ending up in my garage...
Pictures...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Camo Grouch
  • Camo Grouch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Camo Grouch replied the topic: Howdy, from Tampa

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=29047994DDCEFD83!3554&authkey=!AI24sfbtutUQAqk&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

• Thank you received: 1

Jonesy replied the topic: Howdy, from Tampa

Hello Camo,

I live in the Tampa area as well. Welcome.

I would first start by finding out where the support beams are located under your flooring, so you know a good spot to place your tank. In my experience the smallest tank you would want to get for one Oscar is a 55 gallon 4 ft tank. They do well in that size with regular water changes and good filtration. You can never have too much filtration when it comes to Oscars. I run two Aqueon 55/75 Quiet Flow Filters on my 55. I also have other tanks but on my 55 that is more than enough. I have a few friends who have successfully kept 55 gallon tanks on the second floor of apartments. Just be sure to locate your support beams under the flooring so you know exactly where to place the tank and stand. Most of the time you can search for blueprints of the building, or check with the HOA if you have one.

As far as water changes go, look into the Python Water Changer. It hooks up to your sink and is the cleanest and quickest way to do a water change on most any tank. I will put a link below. They come in different lengths so you would just need to measure the length from your tank to your kitchen sink.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jonesy

Python Water Changer

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Howdy, from Tampa

I wouldnt be concerned with a small/medium sized tank on upper floors. Its all about weight distribution. I have 125, 75 and 55g tanks on the same upper floor. All on outside, load bearing walls. Not worried in the slightest. A fully stocked full size fridge exerts the same pounds per square inch as a 4ft 75 gal aquarium. And indeed, you must purchase the Python water changer.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Howdy, from Tampa

Welcome to our little community

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Howdy, from Tampa

welcome to the crew

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds