Hi everyone.

• Rainbecks
  • Rainbecks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Rainbecks created the topic: Hi everyone.

I have been a tropical fish keeper for a few years now. And that two community tanks one 300 ltr tank with larger fish and one 55ltr tank with small tetras. I have recently rescued an Oscar fish from being flushed down the toilet as had been miss sold to my friend and placed in a tank with Molly's. After eating two fish they wanted rid or the Oscar fish so I took him in. He is currently in a very small tank and I do need to purchase a larger aquarium when money permits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hi everyone.

Hello and welcome to OFL. Yes, Oscars are big cichlids and do need adequate space. Best thing to do for your new guy until a bigger tank comes is to keep his water very clean. Big volume every day changes may be in order. Anything you need, just ask!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Rainbecks
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Rainbecks replied the topic: Hi everyone.

Was wondering what sort of lighting he needs. Tank currently has a pl11w in marine and white. He seams very unhappy when light is on and often sulks. Was wondering what kelvin rating is good. Should I go with a red and white light or just red. Other option I have is putting some mini spots in just so I can see him. He only comes out to swim when lights are off and a small lamp is on in the room. Forgot to say he is an albino.

You dont need any lights. Oscars are light sensitive, and too bright or on too long can damage their vision. Especially so if it is an Albino/Lutino. Natural daylight and ambient room light in the evening suits them just fine. Tank should be dark overnight so he can get some proper shut-eye. He is likely stressed from the rescue, being in a small, unfamiliar tank. Keep it dim or darkish to let him settle in. What size is the tank you have him in? How big is the fish? Is this tank running with established filtration?

• Rainbecks
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

He is in a 20ltr am looking at an 80 ltr to buy. Sadly did not have time to fully cycle tank. I have a very very helpful lfs and doing daily water changes and water tests. I know about nitrite and ammonia poisoning. Fish is about 3inches. There is only a dim nightlight running overnight as in my kids room. But that is over the other side of the room.

20 litre?? Thats like 5gals. He needs out of there like right now. And for your new purchase, 80 litre is still far, far too small. You need 300 litre, a 75US gal tank with a 48x18inch base.

• Rainbecks
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well it's the only aquarium I had and I can't afford another 300ltr aquarium for just one fish. I live in a two bedroom flat and don't have much space. I'm trying to do the best I can for this fish. Like I say he was gonna be flushed down the toilet. Surly giving him a place to live even if is a bit small is better than death.

Yes, I understand your thinking. You must understand however that Oscars need big space, even when small. They grow fast, produce a lot of waste. You saved the little fella for now, but if you go ahead with your plan to house him in an 80ltr tank, he will die a death much slower and more cruel than a flush down the toilet. He will be subjected to stunted growth, whereby the skeleton stops growing, but internal organs continue. Its a brutal death. You say you cannot provide adequate conditions for an Oscar, so the right thing to do is find him a better home

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds