Red mist like coming out of my oscar

• spoliziani
  • spoliziani's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

spoliziani created the topic: Red mist like coming out of my oscar

Hi all!!! I just witnessed my Oscar discharge a reddish mist(looked like pee honestly) out of her/his underbelly. I tried to research and look up some info on this but cant find anything. Any ideas??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Red mist like coming out of my oscar

Hello and welcome to OFL. First thing comes to mind is his diet. What goes in usually comes out. A little background on your fish too please. How old/big, tank size, regular maintenance etc.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• spoliziani
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

spoliziani replied the topic: Red mist like coming out of my oscar

I have 2 long finned albino Oscars, in a 150 gal tank, both are almost a year old and are fed reddish pellets, brine shrimp and blood worms on a daily basis. Im guessing the reddish discharge could be from the red pellet food but ive just never witnessed it before! I do 30% water changes on their tank twice a week, they are very messy eaters!

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Red mist like coming out of my oscar

Sounds like diet related. Good setup.. dont be shy, post some pics! Fyi for the long term health of your fish... more volume of your water changes. A single 75-80% weekly change is better than 2 at 30 each. Oscars of a year old shouldnt eat every day. Skip a day or 2 a week and substitute a veg based pellet for the bloodworm.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• spoliziani
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

spoliziani replied the topic: Red mist like coming out of my oscar

Thank you! I am currently at work so I will have to get some good pics of my babies when I get home! I normally do a big full tank clean at least once a month so theres also that along with my water changes but I will remember the advice for future changes. They act completely normal and happy, Ive just never witnessed anything like that before so wanted to make sure it wasn't something weird or abnormal. Thank you!

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Red mist like coming out of my oscar

spoliziani wrote: I have 2 long finned albino Oscars, in a 150 gal tank, both are almost a year old and are fed reddish pellets, brine shrimp and blood worms on a daily basis. Im guessing the reddish discharge could be from the red pellet food but ive just never witnessed it before! I do 30% water changes on their tank twice a week, they are very messy eaters!

i concur with Suprd71.... what comes in normally comes out...
sooner, you can see a pooh that looks like a worm having a color of the pellets

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds