Help my fancy goldfish are ill

• Samralph123
  • Samralph123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Samralph123 created the topic: Help my fancy goldfish are ill

Ok so to start off these fish were brought by my partner a year ago and we were told by the guy at the pet shop that a baby biorb at 15 litres is enough for two fancy goldfish...anyway so my partner kept the fish at his and he got a new job where cleaning the tank and all of that he didnt have time for...so this upset me as he hadnt cleaned them for a month.

So i took them to my house where i cleaned the tank and tried to keep them well. Not realising you have to cycle a tank first so whilst reading up on how to look after fancys i was horrified at myself as they need a bigger tank and not cycling the tank would kill them etc so i brought a 110 litre tank as its the only one i could afford.

Cycled the tank and measured the nitrite and nitrate and ammonia levels and waited until everything was cycled took a good month and a half.

So with adding the fish in they seemed happy however i noticed red streaks in their fina and fin rot i thought it was from the old tank...
I kept doing water changes in hope it would fix but being new to the hobby about three months added in melafix as symptoms were getting worse.

I do water changes every 5 days of 25% and use a water conditioner. I have an air pump to make sure the waters got plenty of oxygen and turn it off at night as its rather noisy. The tank has a filter.
Anyway i have noticed one of my fancies scales above his head is sticking up.

I just feel really upset i dont want them to be ill. I moved them for the better and i feel like theyve just got worse. They dart and rub their fins on the gravel. I know the ph is a bit low but im not sure how to get that up and if that will make them bette all the nitrite and nitrate and ammonia is at 0
Their poop isnt its usual colour its white and stringy... Their fins look like they have kinks in them... Annoying thing is i know the old tank has made them ill but i dont know why their getting worse since this tank is much better.

Please someone help me im so new to this and have grown to love these fish very much they are at least 1 and a half years old now. And one of my fancys hasnt grown much and the others a bit bigger which is good i just want healthy fishies :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Help my fancy goldfish are ill

i am a little bit confuse about the situation...

So i took them to my house where i cleaned the tank and tried to keep them well. Not realising you have to cycle a tank first so whilst reading up on how to look after fancys i was horrified at myself as they need a bigger tank and not cycling the tank would kill them etc so i brought a 110 litre tank as its the only one i could afford.

what happen to the existing filtration systems? cycling the tank is basically establishing the filtration system... since your boyfriend has the existing filtration... it should be brought along with the fish... and you don't have to start the cycle again...

• Samralph123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Samralph123 replied the topic: Help my fancy goldfish are ill

This was a biorb the filtration systems completely different to the new bigger tank i got. I just wanna know how to help my fish better haha.

• Samralph123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Samralph123 replied the topic: Help my fancy goldfish are ill

With a biorb they would tell you to buy a new filter every month as well...again they just rip you off for money i just did what i was told when i had the biorb....realised i wasnt doing the right thing.
Any how the new tanks filters completely different to the biorb.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds