Hello everyone

• forlorngirl
  • forlorngirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

forlorngirl created the topic: Hello everyone

I hope I am doing this correctly. I have never posted in a forum before :) I am new to having my VERY own Oscar fish tank. My dad had them when I was a kid and one took a liking to me and would pout in the bottom of the tank til I got home from school and then get really happy to see me. I was a nerdy kid so needless to say, my best friend in the whole world at that age was a red oscar appropriately named RED :) (not very creative, I know)

The advice my dad gives me about my tank is minimal...he believes in trial and error (or success) so I am hoping for help on the site. For now Isaiah and Daniel are in a 30 gallon tank, both only an inch or so big and my sister is giving me her 100 gallon tank in exactly 10 days so I think they will be fine in the small one for now. I am so So SO excited.

So my first big question....How will I cycle my tank so I can put these little guys in it and how long will it take? I'm going to search the forum as I understand this is "please introduce yourself".

This is going to be great!!
Jody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Hello everyone

Hi Jody, welcome to the community....

with regards to your concern of cycling the incoming tank, you don't have to worry about it... just get another filter that will be suited for the incoming big tank, run it in parallel with the existing to seeded it with beneficial bacteria... and just run it to the new tank when it arrive... you don't have to wait cycling the tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: forlorngirl

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Hello everyone

Hi there Jody

Welcome to our little community, glad you decided to join us., Cycling a fish tank isn't quite as daunting as it sounds, it's basically just a case of being patient. We have an article on the website which I wrote some time ago, tried to make it simple and easy to understand as possible. If you have a read of the article should help you understand the cycling process and what is involved. If you don't understand some of it that you only have to ask.

It's good that you got the larger tank coming because 30 gallons isn't even big enough for one Oscar, let alone two. The only concern I have is that we don't really like people to cycle a tank using Oscars. But I would recommend getting a product called Prime. If you use this during the cycling process then you can detoxify the ammonia and make the environment safer for your fish whilst the tank is in the cycling process.

Like I said, we are here to help so you only have to ask if you have a problem and we will do our best to help.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: forlorngirl

• forlorngirl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

forlorngirl replied the topic: Hello everyone

Thank you so much :) Your aquarium puppies are beautiful :)

• forlorngirl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hello :) got the Prime.....8 more days til I can start the set up of the new tank :) thank you for the advice.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hello everyone

Hello and welcome to OFL. I will answer a question you posed on another thread, about possibly adding a JD to your upcoming 120. NO. With 2 Oscars and a pleco the 120 will be stretched beyond its limits already. I would ask, is the 120 a 4ft or 5ft tank? If 5ft you may be able to house 2 Oscars for a few years, depending on compatibility. Always a coin toss there. Pleco adds significantly to the bioload of any tank, and a 120g volume is not enough for 3 large fish. Try the Oscars, skip the pleco, forget any other fish.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• forlorngirl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I am not certain if it is 4' or 5' my sister is bringing it up for me. She moved into a tiny apartment and doesn't have room for it. Originally I was going to buy a 150 gallon from PetsMart but she offered me this one. Thanks for letting me know about JD. maybe in the future. Isaiah and Daniel get along really well so far. ALWAYS swimming together and seldom far from each other. OH!!! another maybe dumb question...is it normal for their colors to get really bright when they hear my voice. My daughter was watching them and said when I am talking by the tank they get really bright. Kinda cool but maybe she just thinks it's that way. Do anyone else's do that?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Hello everyone

i know they can not hear you but sure you will not talk to your fish when you are far away...
your fish will always be excited seeing you around because it means "food" for them....
i do talk to myself when i am with my fish (knowing they could not hear me) but i see them
excited and wiggling their tails whenever i am near their tank... LOL!

• forlorngirl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

love the pics :) I talk to myself then to if they can't hear me....I was thinking dang they are really smart they know their names lol

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hello everyone

Oscars are very intelligent and personable. No, they cant hear you but do indeed see you, and you are the food source. On the opposite end they can also have a grump on, sit in a corner and pout for a while.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds