Upgrading tanks...

• Spring312001
  • Spring312001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Spring312001 created the topic: Upgrading tanks...

Hi I'm new here. Went to a local pet store to ask for a tank mate for my 6"+ African clawed frog and 7" placo. In a 42 g. I came home with a 5" tigar Oscar. I am upgrading my tank. Found 2 55g set up for a great price. My frog is an ass and eats everything but so far is good with Oscar the frog kicks the o off when he tryed to bit and pushes past like not there. Now they eat together the frog showing the o where the food is. My question is who goes were. I had hoped to use one for my big 3 and the other to grow others and community feeders. I would like an eel or gar to grow around 6-12" to go with other 3 but space may have to separate then what to put with who?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Upgrading tanks...

reptiles and amphibians should not be kept with an oscar. A single oscar needs a 48"x24" tank to itself, typically a 75 g is the lowest tank size you can get.

• Spring312001
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Spring312001 replied the topic: Upgrading tanks...

So maybe the Oscar in one 55 I would like a tank mate.... Eel/ gar? Bottom feeder and frog with some other large fish in the other 55 . the pet store thought they would be fine together ... Frog an O and so far so good. picking up new tanks this weekend and a 2 teer stand with all supplies for a great price. So thanks to the pet store guy they will be in the 42 until there setup. Shown minor aggressive but no injury and have been friendly for the most part. I've had sharks and cats with frogs in the past.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Upgrading tanks...

forget the gar, it can grow as much as 34" in 2 years...

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Upgrading tanks...

Hello and welcome to the site. One basic and easy to follow rule of fishkeeping is "do not overstock the aquarium" The other part is, "stock any tank according to the adult size of the intended resident" A single fish in a small tank is still an overstock. You dont have the tanks available to house the animals you are interested in.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Spring312001
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Spring312001 replied the topic: Upgrading tanks...

Had a friend who had a smaller eel/gar breed. 12" at 5 years old with an Oscar/ chilid breed and a alge eater who live happily for years not sure on the breeds. In a 55 and a big O in a 75g... Online stuff is mixed I have 3 fish and 3 tanks. I'll figure it out. Thank you.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds