I was not meaning to get an Oscar just yet...

• LovesLC
  • LovesLC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LovesLC created the topic: I was not meaning to get an Oscar just yet...

Hi OFL,
This is my second post. In my first post I stated that I had purchased an 8' X 2' 200 gallon tank and had questions about getting an Oscar for the tank and possibly some tank mates. I got good advice and thank you!
I also stated that we are remodeling the room that the tank will fit in, so it may not be up and running until this Summer. So I had no intention of getting the Oscar yet
But......
I have been visiting this baby Oscar at a retailer (see pics) and have been inquiring as to whether or not they would be trying to treat him, as he looks like he has health issues.
The last time I came in to inquire about him they finally just gave him to me...
It was recommended (not by this retailer) to treat him with Seachem Poly Guard, and that he will probably never look 100% but it will hopefully prevent his condition getting worse. So I am treating him now in a 30 gallon storage container (food grade) with a heater and filter from my 55G. Daily water changes.
He is currently 3 inches long.
I am concerned, though, that the 200G tank likely will not be set up for a few months. I do not want to stunt his growth or cause him more problems in the meantime.
After the medicated treatments are done I can do some re-arranging and maybe use a 40G breeder that I have if that helps......
Would that be a viable option for a period of around 6 months?
Right now he is active and he eats (but a bit shy).
Also, I have been reading up on HITH and JS syndrome, but if anybody has any other input on his condition / treatment it would be appreciated (see pics).
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: I was not meaning to get an Oscar just yet...

If 40 gallons is all you have then you should be okay for a few months whilst the Oscar is growing. However 40 gallons isn't big enough for an adult Oscar so I think you should definitely strive to get this new tank set up as quickly as possible. Just keep a very close eye on water conditions and change water when nitrate starts rising above 20 ppm.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: I was not meaning to get an Oscar just yet...

good you got it already... poor little fish... HITh is already serious...
i agree with OFL, it will be fine for a few months... just keep the water
in good condition, it will recover soon... the coloring is great...

• LovesLC
  • LovesLC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LovesLC replied the topic: I was not meaning to get an Oscar just yet...

Thanks for the replies. Good to know he will be OK for a little while in 40G.
I have an API test kit and I'm pretty religious about water changes, so hopefully he will recover and the Poly Guard will help.
I guess if worse came to worse I could partially set up the larger tank (half full) and no substrate so it would be easy to take apart and move when we put in floors, etc.
I'm already very attached to the little guy. His name is Enzo. I'll probably be posting pictures of him as he grows.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds