Oscar has a lump on it

• stedz2121
  • stedz2121's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

stedz2121 created the topic: Oscar has a lump on it

hi I need a bit of help I'm new to keeping oscars. Iv noticed a lump near the anus area is this a problem anyone can help me with? Thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar has a lump on it

Hello and welcome aboard. We can very likely help, but need as much info as possible about your fish and surroundings. Every tidbit you can think of, and in this case a good pic of the concern. Use photobucket to forward pics to the forum

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• stedz2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

stedz2121 replied the topic: Oscar has a lump on it

Thanks for reply. Can u send photos off an I pad as I don't have a computer?

If you have or can open a photobucket account, then you can. Put pics in the pb library, then copy the img code and paste directly into the forum thread box. If this doesnt work for you, please provide fish details anyways.

• stedz2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yes that is quite visible. It could be an intestinal blockage that may clear. It could be as bad as a terminal tumor. It appears to be a fair size. How long since you noticed this? I see other Oscars there. Could you tell me the tank size, fish size and age. What is the regular diet and feeding sched? How much and how often do you do water changes? Any other fish besides the 3 Oscars? Do you monitor water parameters? A lot of questions, but need to try to identify the cause, and hopefully get on track to cure.

• stedz2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

It's been about a week now and it has got a lot bigger. It's a 60g tank and from what I read they are about 5 months old.i also have 2 plecos 1 torpedo Barb.1 silver shark and 2 gouramis.i feed they daily on pellet bloodworms and flake I gave them muscles once as pet shop told me to. Water changes are weekly. Tank has 2 filters. And are kept at 28* anything else u need to know?

Ok, several problems here, but lets address the lump. Difficult to do with so many fish in the tank, but he needs a good purge, IF its a blockage. I would want to get some shelled green peas into him, nothing else. You need to see some bowel movement. Now, a problem you have that will contribute to problems with all the fish is a severe overstock. Your tank is suitable for 1 only Oscar of less than a year old. No tankmates. Your water quality is guaranteed on the poor side, as 1 weekly water change will never keep levels of toxins at a manageable reading. For any long term success, you need A.. less fish or B.. a tank 4x the size of your current one. A poor report, but these are the realities of keeping large cichlids. Big fish need big space, even while growing up. Your Oscar lump may be diet related, may be water related, may be both. Grim reality is, he wont recover in that tank.

• stedz2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I knew the rest of the fish would be dinner at some point. But was hoping on getting a pair of oscars. I have fluval 306 and fluva u4. If I was do to more water changes would the tank be OK as its a bow front and 14" at the thinnest point? I will get the peas in the morning how many should I feed it? And should I stop other foods?

A pair of Oscars needs a 6ft tank of minimum 125gals. A pair of foot long fish will make that tank look small. Its not a filtration, or water change issue. Its adequate space to live in. We recommend as a minimum tank for a single Oscar 75gals and a footprint of 48x18. Your tank is smaller. 1 Oscar only. Yes stop other foods until he gets some peas in. Several would be good, even a couple may help. Definitely up your water changes for overall tank and fish benefit.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds