Hello

• Wols
  • Wols's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Wols created the topic: Hello

Hi all. My name is Joe and I'm from Australia. I've been reading the forums here for a couple months now and must say there is some great info on here. I've been wanting to get an Oscar for about 10 years and have finally bought a tank to house him/her. I've got a six by two by two tank, but not wanting any plumbing or hoses and heaters showing, I've used 20 cm on one side of the tank where I have had an internal wall built. Inside the wall I have divided it into three equal compartments of 20cm by 20cm each and about 55 cm tall. I will essentially be running an internal sump with the first two compartments being used for mechanical and biological filtration with the last used for the heaters and return pump. I'm then left with 5.1 by 2 by 2 foot of tank space, which I think is just above 150 US gallons. Once cycled I plan on getting one Oscar and either some silver dollars or jurupari. This leads me to a question I'm hoping someone can help with. If I choose the silver dollars, how many would I be able to add? I was thinking of 8 but not sure if that would be too many. With the jurupari I have read conflicting reports as to whether they can be kept with oscars and also on how big they grow. Some say you can keep them and others say you can't. Regarding size some say they max out at 12 inches while other say 8 inches. Does anyone keep them and have a definite answer as to whether you can keep them with oscars and also their maximum size? I have a sand substrate and find their behaviour of sifting through it fascinating. Not sure if they will be too big for my aquarium. Any help will be appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post :) .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Hello

first of all, welcome to the community...
i have no experience yet with jurupari, thus i am of no use about it...
150 gal, you can keep schooling of 6 sd with 2 oscar ...
i am no longer fond of sand substrate since it make tank maintenance more
difficult thus, most of my tanks are bare bottom...

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hello

Hello Joe and welcome to the site. No Jurupari here, just some reading like yourself. I do know that true Jurupari are a bit rare and quite expensive. There is a false one that is easy to get and cheap. The exact name escapes me atm. You can never say what works and what doesnt until you try. Some Oscars are simply not good community fish. Silver Dollars usually get by ok with their speed and general toughness. I wouldnt expect Jurupari to do so well with an angry Oscar.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Hello

Welcome to our little community, glad you decided to join up.

I think that one Oscar and four or five silver dollars will probably be great. I think a minimum of four silver dollars is a good idea, but the more the better because they are a shoaling fish.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Hello

hey welcome to the gang

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Wols
  • Wols's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Wols replied the topic: Hello

Thank you all for the replies and the welcomes. I have decided to go with the silver dollars. I like the spotted ones so will be getting a small shoal of them.

@DRACO- the thought of having two oscars was very tempting. That was actually my original plan but I decided on having the one with some companion fish. I would like to get a big a shoal as possible, without overloading. Trying to keep the sand a little cleaner was another reason :)

My tank is currently getting built so should be ready in about 4 weeks. Can't wait!! I'll post some pics when I get it all set up.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Hello

looking forward to see more picture of your set up... schooling fish and the oscar...
just make sure the filtration system can cope with the bioload and everything will be fine.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds