Another sulking Oscar

• Briggs
  • Briggs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Briggs created the topic: Another sulking Oscar

Hello all. New to the site. I have a new O, it's about 1.5-2". He is eating and swimming fine. He occasionally lies on the bottom of the tank and kinda doesn't move. Often is hiding up by the filters. I have had Oscars before, but never had one do this. I can currently only teat for ammonia. Test strip reads 0. I know that my tap water's ph is 7.5. He's in a 55 gallon with two top din power filter 75s on the back. Also have a king-160 powerhead. Only tank mate is a pleco that's about 2" long. Really just wondering if there is cause for any concern.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Another sulking Oscar

Hello and welcome to OFL. I moved your post to the introduction heading, being a new member. Eating and swimming fine is good. Other behavior that seems odd is most likely him settling into his new home. Quite common. Couple of suggestions. Get yourself an API liquid test kit. Strips are not accurate at all. You need to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Your 2 fish are very small, but both will grow quickly. The 55 will become too small in 6 months, possibly less. The Oscar itself will need a bigger tank for just itself by this time next year. Your filters will struggle to maintain the tank as the fish grow. Filter ratings dont apply to tanks holding large messy fish, of which you will soon have 2, and cartridge style filters are not good enough. You have several months yet, but if you wish to keep both fish long term, plan on a tank of over 100 gals, and heavy filtration to match. Good luck, anything you need dont hesitate to ask.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Briggs
  • Briggs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Briggs replied the topic: Another sulking Oscar

Thanks. Advice noted. I will say that I have had the same setup, with the same pair of fish before. They lived peaceful full lives. I find that the only thing I end up having to do was more water changes. Which is fine with me. Give me something to do. I actually had two 250 gallon homemade fiberglass tanks, made for breeding Os. That was a blast.

• Thank you received: 1

Remz replied the topic: Another sulking Oscar

I'm surprised you have not received more input here. I had an oscar that hid himself in my decor for nearly a week without eating. I was very concerned.

He eventually came out and learned to eat pellets from my fingers. Hope all has turned out well.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds