2 baby Oscars getting better

• LovesLC
  • LovesLC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LovesLC created the topic: 2 baby Oscars getting better

Hi OFL,
Approximately 2 months ago this forum helped me take care of 2 baby Oscars that I obtained from a store that let them get what looked like severe Hole in the Head.
I followed the recommendations given. One Oscar now looks like he never had HITH. The other may be permanently scarred from the pitting but is active and seems healthy. I stopped the treatments and am careful to keep the nitrates at 10PPM or lower.
We attempted to fit our 8ft tank in our living room and it is just not going to work. There is just not that much open space. The plan is still to finish the add on room and then set it up.
In the meantime I bought a temporary 90 gallon tank for my baby Oscars. I do understand this is too small long term for 2 Oscars. Do you think there would be adverse affects to house them there for a few months? I change about 45 gallons a week. It is 5ft long, 18in deep.
I attached a video. Sorry for the poor quality. In it you can see the fish that had the worst pitting has a permanently opened, crooked mouth. I'm guessing because his gill is so scarred on that side. Should I be concerned? He eats just fine.
The tank is very bare because it is temporary. It has a fully cycled canister filter from my other tank.
Thanks!
s1081.photobucket.com/user/loveslc3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/t...filters%5Buser%5D=143868728&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: 2 baby Oscars getting better

Hi, sorry, there is no video showing.

Sometimes an fish have been ill, especially with hole in the head disease than they may be left with permanent scarring. Your fish may not look particularly pretty, but as long as everything looks as though it's healed up and the fish is behaving normally then there's not too much to worry about.

As for the aquarium, you should be okay for a while with the 90 gallon aquarium, but cuter very close eye on the water and make sure that you carry out water changes accordingly.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 2 baby Oscars getting better

They should be ok for a few months. The fewer the better. Realize that they are both prone to recurrence of health problems, more so than a properly raised fish. Its good to keep nitrate at 10 or even lower, but you will likely find that a weekly 50% change eventually wont do the trick. I would get in the habit of doing a 75% change every 4-5 days. The higher the volume and frequency of fresh water, the better the fish will do.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 2 baby Oscars getting better

yeah... there is no video but i can see the pic of your fish particularly the one with HITH scars...
as long as the fish becomes healthy, the scar could become facial characters like battle scar LOL!

• LovesLC
  • LovesLC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LovesLC replied the topic: 2 baby Oscars getting better

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure why the video did not show? It shows when I click the link. But it is really not that exciting, lol...
The 90G should only be until around Summer. If I had my way I would just put the 8ft tank on the floor somewhere but my husband has issues with that. I will up the water changes to at least 75% per week.
I wanted to show how the fish with the really deep pits in his head , that now the pits are barely noticeable and his head filled in and is getting nice and smooth. He no longer has the extremely pronounced snout that he had when I got him. And though his mouth is crooked he gobbles up his worms and krill like nobody's business.
They had large holes in their tails when I got them and their tails and fins are now beautiful.
The Epsom salt soaked food seemed to help a lot. And they have both grown about 2 inches since I got them.
Thanks again for the help! I have learned so much about HITH and Oscars!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 2 baby Oscars getting better

with proper care and didicated keeper, they will be grow up beautiful

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds