New tank for oscars

• stedz2121
  • stedz2121's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

stedz2121 created the topic: New tank for oscars

So I'm stressing out and need a bit of help if any one could help.
Iv brought a 6x2x2 second hand tank for my os the new tank has fish with it that I want to put in my old tank. The question is what's the best way to move it so its safe as soon as I set it up in my house. It has sand at the bottom about 3" deep. 3 fluval heaters. Fluval fx5 and aps 1000. I need to know a safe way and a way I won't break the tank? Should I take out sand?. Any help would be great thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New tank for oscars

Yes, the tank needs to be empty. No sand, no water. You obviously need some people to help. Try to carry the tank as stable as possible, avoid any twisting. Important also to keep the Fx filter alive. Transport it full of water. I would also suggest far less than 3ins of sand. This will only act as a waste trap, especially with Oscars being such messy fish. An inch thick would be more than enough.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• stedz2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

stedz2121 replied the topic: New tank for oscars

I have 6 of us going Saturday should be enough. Will a 100% water change be ok then with the same filters? Ok just an inch of sand going in. Should I use the same sand or new? Also Is that enough filteration for that tank? Thanks for your reply

Yes fill the tank with 100% new water, use conditioner if needed. FX is a good large tank filter. I am not familiar with the other one. I have a same tank, 2 adult Oscars. My filters are FX5, Filstar XPXL and a pair of Aquaclear 110 hobs. If you like the sand, use it. Not a sand user myself, my preference is round river pebbles. I promote the use of Aquaclear filters in conjunction with canisters. You can clean an hob sponge in a couple of minutes. When you pick up that full FX, you should get an idea of what I mean. An awesome filter, but a real chore to break down and clean. The hobs act as mechanical filtration, allowing longer timeframe between canister cleanings. Test your water a few times weekly to make certain you havent lost cycle during the move.Then... when all done, show us your new setup!

• stedz2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Should I put half the tank water out my 4ft into it? All pond solutions 1000 is the real name to the other filter. Do t much about them myself.should I put fish strait into new tank or put a divider into the 4ft until I know the filters haven't crashed but that means very badly overstock. I will look into the pebbles thanks. Are hob filter expensive?

• stedz2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Also how many oscars can go in 790 liter tank?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: New tank for oscars

stedz2121 wrote: Also how many oscars can go in 790 liter tank?

i am thinking of purely oscar tank of 5... just need to focus on good filtration...
however, two oscar will great too with a couple of silver dollars to make the tank lively..

• stedz2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Should I put half the tank water out my 4ft into it? All pond solutions 1000 is the real name to the other filter. Do t much about them myself.should I put fish strait into new tank or put a divider into the 4ft until I know the filters haven't crashed but that means very badly overstock. I will look into the pebbles thanks. Are hob filter expensive?

I dont know where you live, but in North America, the Aquaclear 110 sells for 75-100 bucks. Look online, they are generally easy to find. My recommendation to keep the FX full of water, and the Pond filter as well for that matter, will keep your beneficial bacteria alive for many hours. Dont bother with water from the 4ft. Fish can live in a rubbermaid tub, cooler, whatever you have while you fill the big tank. Fill to the same temp as fish are used to, connect and run filters, add fish, all in sequence as quickly as possible. Shouldnt take more than an hour or so, and bacteria and fish will transition smoothly

• stedz2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I got the tank home fine after 6 hours . If I didn't have a bad back before I do now lol. 1 problem though the fish tank came with it wont let my oscars in there tank there are vieja x2 convicts x3 jewel X1 feather fin cat fish x1 common pleco x1 any ideas?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds