Hey all

• Ragnar0k
  • Ragnar0k's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Ragnar0k created the topic: Hey all

Hello everyone.

Been a few years since I've had fish but I will soon be getting a new tank, larger then I once had, and be getting my first Oscar!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Hey all

Hi there, nice to have you on-board. Glad to hear that you haven't actually got your tank yet, remember that Oscars do need large tanks. So the rule of thumb is the bigger the better. If you're thinking about keeping just one Oscar then I would certainly be opting for a minimum of 75 gallons, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, when it's all set up and running we would love to see some photos. In the meantime, we are here to advise you during the initial setup and cycling of the aquarium stop

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hey all

Welcome to OFL. Just to add an important item.... make sure your new setup is fully cycled before adding Oscar. Baby Oscars suffer greatly in tanks with toxins. Anything you need, just ask, plenty of help available.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Ragnar0k
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ragnar0k replied the topic: Hey all

Hello. Yes no tank yet, other then a little 5g I may throw a few guppies or something in to breed my own feeders to treat the O every once in a while.

Right now I'm hoping that a tank on Craigslist listed as 110gallon (online calculator says it's more like 125gallon) is available next week when I get paid. It's an acrylic tank 72x20x20

If not unfortunately the only other good deal is a 60 gallon as I'm not sure about trusting a used larger glass tank.
However if I have to go with the 60 I do plan on upgrading within 6-12 months

• Ragnar0k
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ragnar0k replied the topic: Hey all

There's a few tanks I'm currently talking to people on now.

There's still the 2 about 120gallon tanks (one glass one acrylic) with stands hoods and lights. Waiting for measurements on one but both look like 6ft tanks. Both listed at $250

There's a 60 gallon also with stands hoods lights. Glass listed at $180 but 13in wide so I'd have to upgrade down the road

There's also an 80 gallon now listed in my town at $250 with stands lights and all currently set up that would be a ready to go tank once I move it (selling as they aren't comfortable with their young kids around it)
Waiting on the measurements for this.

There's also another 125gallon glass tank being sold by a pet store (it's used) with a stand and canopy top. $300 thinking it might be worth it when I talk to them if there's some kind of guarantee bUT I doubt it as its a cash only buy for that price

And last also in town is a 150 gallon tank with stand. No hood or lights so I'd need a hood made. Asking $250 but it has weird dimensions at 48"Lx24inWx30"H

Some have filters but either way I'd replace those and I can probably get a hood made cheap for the 150. Not sure if the dimensions on that are ok?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hey all

I am not a fan of 4ft tanks for large cichlids regardless of volume. Imo lateral swimspace and room to turn are more important than extra volume created by added height. Knowing a 60 will not suffice long term, why bother? The 125 with stand and canopy sounds reasonable. Inspect all seals carefully, as well as bracing. If everything appears to be in good shape, 300 is ok. Maybe offer 275? You could request they fill it for you. No leaks or creaks, good to go. Same goes for any private sale, demand proof it holds water.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Hey all

hey, welcome to the gang

Haku, I knew your were good.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Hey all

Welcome to our community

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds