6" Oscar rejecting pellets after HITH treatment

• wtp1776
  • wtp1776's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

wtp1776 created the topic: 6" Oscar rejecting pellets after HITH treatment

So as the title says, My O is now spitting out his pellets. A few weeks ago I noticed lateral line erosion followed a few days later by small pitting on the head area and a few sores on the body. I am not aware of a cause as water quality was always well maintained and weekly 20% changes were done religiously. My best guess is that a parasite was contracted via live feeding of some cheap rosies (never again, I know.)

I treated with API general cure for 2 48 hour periods as suggested and then moved on to a 7 day melafix regimen. My O is looking much better but he has now rejected his staple food which is Hikari Gold mediuam floating pellet. He used to slam these things by the dozen and not waste a crumb but now he will grab one, crunch it a few times and spit it back out. If i put several in the tank he will so this to a few and ignore the rest until I remove them.

He will still hammer live food like crickets and earthworms with great enthusiasm but the pellets are just a no go all of a sudden. I am guessing this is some reaction to the treatment as he had no problem eating while sick.

My main questions are,

#1 Is this normal for an O to go off his staple food during or following disease treatment ?

#2 Should I continue feeding knowing the waste and risk water contamination during his recovery ? I have no other fish ATM to clean his mess. I want to get a giant danio school and probably a striped raphael after the treatment is over to help cut down on the food waste.

#3 Can I expect him to resume eating his staple food at some point ?

#4 Should I stop feeding live food in order to trigger feeding on the pellets ? I know O can last for several weeks with no food with no adverse effects.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 6" Oscar rejecting pellets after HITH treatment

Hello and welcome to the site. A little more details please. Size of tank, filtration? Hith is caused by poor water in almost all cases. A 20% w/c weekly is not nearly enough to keep water Oscar friendly. Do you have specific readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? GC is a decent all round med, but offers little for hith. Melafix is basically useless. Could you provide some pics or better still a video of your fish and tank?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• wtp1776
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

wtp1776 replied the topic: 6" Oscar rejecting pellets after HITH treatment

Tank size is 75G filtration is Magnum 350 w/bio balls and polishing sleeve, Emporer 350 HOB with sponge and ammonia reduction media, also gravel filter system.
Water is
Temp:78-80F
PH: 7.0
Nitritre: 0PPM
Nitrate: >10PPM
Ammonia: 0PPM

I do a weekly reading with API test kit and these values have been relatively constant throughout the existence of the tank (since cycled) I feel 20% weekly is sufficient for my current parameters however that number will obvious increase as the fish increases in size/food/waste.

I am unable to provide any pictures or video ATM, sorry.

Ok, good tank and filtration. As for eating pellets, yes, stop live food. He likes that better and expects it. Offer pellets daily, give him a few minutes to have them. If he wont, remove and try again the next day. Oscar can be a stubborn unit, but wont starve himself. Dont panic if he eats nothing for a couple weeks, it wont harm him. I do seriously suggest larger volume water changes, there is more in the water than the usually monitored toxins. The more fresh water you provide the better the fish will do.

• wtp1776
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Like I said before, I am not so much worried about the HITH at this point as it has been caught and the best plausible cause has been determined. I am also very happy with my choice in medications as the GC almost immediately halted the parasite and the melafix has helped my fish to heal its sores/abrasions and line erosion to nearly pre infection condition in only 4 of the 7 days of recommended treatment. It is not that I do not appreciate the additional concern it's just that I am solely looking for additional information in regards to the feeding issues I am encountering, thank you. Please do not take me as rude, that is not my intention whatsoever.

• wtp1776
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thank you very much for your reply and I will follow your advice of cutting off the live food. I will also continue to offer his staple in small amounts as to not degrade water quality too much. (I do gravel vac weekly) Thank you for putting my mind at ease about these eating habits with my O. I will also up my changes to 30% once the melafix regimen is complete as I do not wan't to pull a bunch of the meds I just added.

For future reference, Epsom salt is an excellent med. Treating food will halt parasitic infestations, treating water is just all round good for fish. Cheaper, easier to admin, far less harsh on the fish's system. Also re feeding.. its possible your pellets are a bit too big? Oscars mouth is many times larger than the throat, and even though he may take in larger feed, the spewing of crumbs indicates he cant swallow them whole.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 6" Oscar rejecting pellets after HITH treatment

wtp1776 wrote:
He will still hammer live food like crickets and earthworms with great enthusiasm but the pellets are just a no go all of a sudden. I am guessing this is some reaction to the treatment as he had no problem eating while sick.

live food like crickets and earthworms will never be a source of hith but may contribute to filthy water if not properly monitored. i am just surprised your fish got HITH... can you brief us how long have you keep your fish? how long your fish developed HITH? just want to check if we missed some factors here...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds