Hi OLF

• Mik3y88
  • Mik3y88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mik3y88 created the topic: Hi OLF

Hi all.

I'm new to Oscar's. Had fish tank for a few years. Currently cycling a tank for my first oscar. I have found this site to be immeasurably helpful and just wanted to say thanks for all the info.

1 question I do have is I recently visited my LFS and the have a pair of mated oscars. The girlfriend fell in love with and she's devastate that they could be split up. I have a 250lt tank roughly 65 US gallons I think. Would this be too small for them to live in. I know it would be to small for 2 separate oscars but I wanted to know if because they are mates they would be ok. They're currently in a tiny 2ft tank barely big enough for them both and the Gf won't stop going on about them. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mike

P.s the oscars are a tiger around 7-9" and a albino around 6-8"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hi OLF

Hello and welcome to the site. You are correct, your tank is way too small for 2 Oscars, regardless of compatibility. It comes down to adequate territory, swimspace and water volume.Water quality would suffer, you would need a large volume water change every 2 days, forever. Its sad that the lfs is keeping them as such, hopefully someone with proper equipment will take them. In actual fact, your tank is suitable to raise a single Oscar, keep for a year at most. Beyond that your fish should have outgrown a 65

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Mik3y88
  • Mik3y88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mik3y88 replied the topic: Hi OLF

That's a shame.
I'm very disappointed to hear that.
I'm a bit confused though, pretty much every site I've been on says 55 gallon (around 210lt) is the minimum size for a single adult oscar. I understand that with fish especially oscars bigger is better but how come 250lt will only be suitable for up to a year?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds