New Tank Coming

• Shaun70
  • Shaun70's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4

Shaun70 created the topic: New Tank Coming

Hi folks, I'm am happy to announce the arrival of my new 90 gallon tank to house my Oscar. Initially I'll be using a large canister and a sml 350gph internal filter for some polishing. But this is until the sump is ready. I am beginning to set the sump up now as once the new tank is in place there will be no way of being able to install the tank and all its plumbing. So the plans are to get the sump underneath the main tank, get the inlet and outlet pipes done, then I can pull down the old 55 gallon, set the fish up in a temporary home, push the 90 gallon into place then transfer everything back and connect up the canisters again. After this I can then work on getting the sump functional with the overflow system. The sump will be 100 litres on top of my new 300 litres tank so i'm sure the Oscar will be doing backflips in her new home.

55g is not big enough for even 1 oscar. I'v battled for 2 years with trying to keep Nitrates below 20 -40 ppm. ITS HARD WORK, almost impossible. I'm hoping the recent addition of a couple of KG's of Seachem Matrix in my main canister might give me a little help. Its only been a couple of days some the jury is still out.

Here are some pics of the early plumbing stages of the cabinet with the sump space.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shaun70
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Shaun70 replied the topic: New Tank Coming

2x 50% water changes as per usual over the week, Nitrate test today 15 to 20ppm, PH 6.8 stable, lowest Nitrate readings for sometime. Whether or not its the Matrix or because i've removed half of the substrate in the existing tank and am able to remove more waste during vacuums?

New tank build coming along. Still some work to go. Am going to test the system fishless until i'm 100% happy with the sump and overflow system. I'll post some more pics soon.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New Tank Coming

Good project, and Oscar will surely appreciate his new house. Understand however, that Oscar will only produce "X" amount of ammonia, and your bio media will only hold an amount of bacteria that can survive on that amount of ammonia. 2kgs, 20, 200kgs of bio media will still contain the same sized colony of beneficial bacteria.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun70

• Shaun70
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Sump now has baffles glued in. Installed the tank into cabinet and filled. Almost ready to start testing with a bit more plumbing etc.

• Shaun70
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Almost ready for water!! 2 days now

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: New Tank Coming

nice tank dude, sump looks awesome

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Shaun70
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Thanks, been busy with this project. Its finally finished, although some fine tweaking and bits and pieces to go, including the lighting.

Btw, no "mini cycle" so far, the change over from the 55 to the 90 went flawlessly.

• Shaun70
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

5 days in since the change, Ammonia ZERO, Nitrite ZERO, Nitrate 5ppm, no spikes at all, after topping off the tank with fresh water after using almost all of the water from the 55, I added a bottle of Dr Tims and Prime into the sump, although the media from the canisters and other bags I had seeding went into the sump without fuss in less than 30 mins from the canisters being shutdown.

I will report that all the fish are absolutely going ballistic. I have never seen my Oscar so energetic, she has become a totally different fish :-)

• Thank you received: 1

Wols replied the topic: New Tank Coming

Looks great. Very well done!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds