Bare Minimum?

• AaronT8156
  • AaronT8156's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

AaronT8156 created the topic: Bare Minimum?

So i have 2 Baby Oscars currently about 2.5 Inches and they are Beautiful and Doing really well Thanks to some advice i got from some of you about handling the Ammonia issues. Since then i have upgraded them to a 55 Gallon Tank from the 30 Gal i started with. However I'm Concerned for my little buddies cause i know they can and will get very Large. I had been planning on upgrading to a 125 Gal in February. My Daughters love the fish as well and each want their own oscar so if i do this we will have four oscars instead of 2 as i have three Girls who all want one of their own. So that being said What would be the bare minimum size tank to hold an oscar family of 4?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Bare Minimum?

If the oscars will get along with each other, you need a 240 gallon tank, so at a minimum 60 gallons of water volume per adult oscar. A 125g will hold 2 oscars if they get along. A 125 gallon tank will required around 100% water change every week with full size 12"+ oscars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AaronT8156

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Bare Minimum?

Its very odds against that your current 2 Oscars will do well for another 6 months in 55g. Compatibility aside, you may run into health problems from overcrowding, and rapidly decaying water quality. I would encourage you to get the 125 long before next February. Should everything somehow work out for you, keep in mind the 60g per fish that Rocksor advised. Also be aware that tank footprint is often more important than volume. A 96x24x24 at 240g is vastly better than a 72x24x30 even though the 6ft is only 20gals shy of the 8 footer. You also asked about MINIMUM. Its always better, and easier to go beyond minimum. I have kept 2 adult Oscars in a standard 6ft 125g. Fish are not monsters, around 10-11ins each. Tank was not inadequate, but looked just a bit tight. I upgraded the same fish to a 72x24x24 180g. A world of dif from 125.They grew a bit more, maybe a foot each now. Gobs of filter, 75% water changes every 4-5 days.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AaronT8156

• AaronT8156
  • AaronT8156's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

AaronT8156 replied the topic: Bare Minimum?

Ok Thank you both so much. I'll do some shopping around and see what i can find and I'll keep that in mind and see if i can find a 180 Gallon that i like! Oscars Grow about 1" a month? Or can they Grow more? I have had these two little guys about a month now and they were 1.5 inches when i first bought them and they are about 2.5" now and they eat alot now.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Bare Minimum?

Oscar growth is geared to genetics and care. Your fish are about 3 months old, maybe a tad more. They should grow about an inch a month until they reach about 9ins. They will continue to grow , but very slowly compared to their first year. 16ins is a monster, 14 is quite large, a foot long is very common. Tankspace clean water and quality diet are the 3 major keys to raising and keeping healthy cichlids. Be careful not to overfeed. Oscars are notorious for begging for food, doing their little dance etc. Ravenous little juveniles will eat every time you offer food. I would feed yours 2 or 3 times a day, small servings of small pellets each time. When they hit 5ins, once a day. Over 6ins 4x weekly. Less frequent as they grow and age. Quality trumps quantity every time.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 4

Shaun70 replied the topic: Bare Minimum?

My Oscar is 9 inches and 2 years old. She lives in a 55g with a few small plecos 7 to 10 cm full size and a 6 inch red tail shark.
I do 3x 50% water changes a week to keep the nitrates manageable. In 3 days they are all about to get a new 90g with a 30g sump system. I regret bringing her up in a 55 but hey, thats all I could afford at the time. Having done this 55g gig with a SINGLE Oscar, my recommendation would be bare minimum 75g for a single Oscar. The 55 is challenging and a lot of time goes into it, otherwise you will end up with severe nitrate creep and lvls that are simply not fair on the fish.
I'd love 4 Oscars but unless I had a 275 and a mother sump system, it will never happen.
Good luck

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Bare Minimum?

Rocksor wrote: If the oscars will get along with each other, you need a 240 gallon tank, so at a minimum 60 gallons of water volume per adult oscar. A 125g will hold 2 oscars if they get along. A 125 gallon tank will required around 100% water change every week with full size 12"+ oscars.

/\
|
|

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds