Hey guys just introducing myself.

• Vansie
  • Vansie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Vansie created the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

Hi guys my names van!.

Umm started out with a 20l betta tank about 8 months ago. Got a 220l (59 gal) about 3 months ago. I've alreaddy started saving for a 400 or 500l lol. So yeah pretty addicted alreaddy.

Okay so the 59 gal has a fluval 306 and a h500 power head. 300 watt heater. I've left the floor bear for now to keep on top of cleaning. 2 massive bits of driftwood with enough caves and holes for everybody.

I started out with a Tiger and a red Oscar but one of them got bullied to death about 2 weeks in. =( it was my first fishy loss and I'm glad I experienced how rough cichlids can be was a real eye opener.

Now my second problem was my drift wood leeching tannins in to the warter! I hated it. And I'm sure it was makeing the fish less coulored. So I checked all my levels and realised it was leaking slight amounts of ammonia with the tannins. So I compensated by getting some bio zorb and some pristine. All my levels are fine now and the tank looks like the fish are swimming in mid air. (fine being 0 / 0 / 167 ppm being read from a ppm meter everything else being tested with liquid master kit)

We ended up getting given 3 platinum angels so I decided to stick them in the 220l along with my now lone Oscar. Basically they bully each other and get bullied by the Oscar. I wouldn't call this real bullying aggressiveness just cichlids being cichlids and telling each other who's boss.

At this point my Oscar really started puttin on weight but still looked a bit drab. So I decided to stock up on alot of different food. Hikari gold some other cichlid sticks cichlid food blood worms heart and something else lol. He started coloring up nicely. At this point I'm still unsure if he's the red or the Tiger.

Decided it might be a good idea to see if I can stick in another big fish. Got a jd. He left the angels alone but bashed the he'll out of my Oscar 2 nights in a row. Wouldn't harm him during the day though funnily enough. Gave him to the mate who gave me the angels who now has a 1000l tank and chucked him in his old 180l

It's been 2 weeks since we got rid of old big Jack the jack dempsey and my Oscar once again has really started to coulor up. He's my favourite fish and is really intelligent hell eat from my hand and jump about an inch out of the tank for food if you hold it out for him.

Here's a gallery of him looking rather well fed. Orange starting to come out. And what looks to be his first Tiger stripe comeing out near his eye? Can anyone tell me if he's a red or a Tiger?.

imgur.com/a/FDcXx

Anyeay just thought I'd share my experience for anyone else new mybe you might learn something from my failures. Def made me a better fish keeper.

Oh and please no lectures on stocking my Oscar will be going in to a bigger tank probaly befor December =)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

welcome to the community...

i had viewed your pictures... the fish does not look good...
bloated either due to constipation or viral infection...
it need immediate attention... try to give him/her some green peas...

• Vansie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Vansie replied the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

Should have knowin better to take pictures after a feed. He's since past what was in his stomach and looks normal. Cheers for making my first post a negative one.

This was an exceptionally large feed my friend was getting rid of a couple of guppies he didn't want. (he breeds them for local pet shops and I've seen how clean he keeps his tanks I trust hey have no bacterial infections.)

Didn't mean to seem snarky but fish keepers really do like to make comments on other people's fish. If it was a dog people wouldn't be doing the same thing.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

Hello Van and welcome to OFL. Please realize that our only goal here is to help and share proper fishkeeping practises. By your own admission, you have made several mistakes is a short time.. Could you better explain your water parameters? I will; assume your 0/0 is ammonia and nitrite. The 167 is??? I really hope not nitrate, if so thats a lethal and pure poison level and will kill your fish very soon. Again, just offering help and advice based on literally decades of experience.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Vansie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ppm is parts per a million. Let's me detect how much material is in the warter. 0.2 nitrate is 200 ppm. I use this over api master kit as it's more accurate. I've just done my warter change and the ppm now reads 127 this is exactly where I want to be. By the end of next week it will be up to about 170 ish. I do 30 % warter changes weekly. If it ever got to 200 I'd be very worried as you say because it would be poisoned warter.

The recommended safe level of nitrate in a cichlid tank is 20pp, and when 20 is reached. a minimum 50% water change is needed, 30% weekly water change in a small overstocked tank is vastly inadequate, and your nitrate level is a direct reflection of this. Should you accept these common facts and ensue to correct, be careful as to not suddenly drop the level as to cause osmotic shock in the fish. I recommend a 25% daily change for a week, then 50% 3x weekly. Other than a large population of aquatic plants, nitrate is managed via water changes. It is not a filtration issue, its as simple as flushing a toilet. Waste out, fresh water in

• Thank you received: 9

muddybear replied the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

Hi Vansie and welcome to the site. I'm pretty new to fish keeping (since xmas) and have learned so much from doing proper research and thorough reading around the subject. I have found that the best and clearest information comes from people like Suprd71 who have vastly more experience and are prepared to share it-I would urge you to heed the advice which has been offered to you-it's not about being "snarky"-it's about the health and well being of your fish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suprd71

• Vansie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Alright gentlemen I'll bite. The charts I have show at my pH level that anywhere upto 160 ppm is fine for cichlids obviously 20 being absolutely perfect. 200 being the danger zone. I'll trust you guys for the next month and if I don't see an increase in growth and color I'll probaly go back to how I was.

Here's me doing another 20 percent on top of the 30.

imgur.com/S0Lra38

Also I'd like an Anwser not one of you guys actually ided the fish. The only question asked In op.

The pic is not very clear, and/or fish is very bland. I think it might be a red O. Lower Ph levels affect the degree of danger concerning ammonia and nitrite. Long term exposure to nitrate of 40 or more will shorten the fish's life, although you wouldnt notice until damage is done.

• Vansie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Okay so keep up 25 % daily for a week then do 3 x 50?. I also dose pristine and have a bio zorb in one of my filters.

Any other advice.?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds