Hey guys just introducing myself.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

Vansie wrote: Should have knowin better to take pictures after a feed. He's since past what was in his stomach and looks normal. Cheers for making my first post a negative one.

ouch... sorry, if you pick my comment in the negative note... that is not my intention.. perhaps i should have used a more subjective words.....
what i meant about it was that there is something wrong with the fish...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9

muddybear replied the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

Glad you've opted to take the advice Van. I think you'll see a positive change reasonably quickly.
I don't have any large cichlids at present as I am currently cycling my 150-however, in my 30 which contains Odessa Barbs, RTBS and Nanacara, I perform an 80% change every 5 days. Nitrate never gets above 10. The way I see it-why not change more water more regularly? It really is no extra work-maybe a little extra time but to be honest if an extra half an hour a couple of times a week is too much then it's probably not the hobby for you.
At the end of the day, at least in my opinion, if we are going to keep fish in small glass prisons-the least we can do is provide them with as pristine an environment as possible.
I agree with Suprd71-your fish looks like a red but hard to tell in the pics.
I hope you get some positive results and stick around to keep us informed of the progress of your fish-good luck :)

• Vansie
  • Vansie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Vansie replied the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

Thankyou spurd draco and muddy bear.

Have started my week of 25 % changes.
Do you think when it comes time to do 50 % 3 times weekly I could do 1 weekly 80%?

That sounds alot better to me I'd rather one day of warter changes then 3.

• Thank you received: 9

muddybear replied the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

That will depend on tank size and stock level. The key will be your nitrate level-the way I understand it, if your nitrate level is 20ppm after a week and you change 50% of your water you will be left with a reading at 10ppm. The following week you will get the same 20ppm creep but will have started with 10ppm so your reading will be 30ppm-changing 50% now will drop your level to 15ppm and the process begins again. The idea is to keep nitrate below 20ppm, you will need to monitor your nitrate creep and then calculate the volume of water that needs to changed in order to maintain a manageable level-as a general rule, as much as possible as often as possible. 80% weekly may work for you-it's really a case of checking the numbers.

What was your tank size, stock and filter setup again?

I would defer to some of the old hands and their personal experience on this one-hopefully someone else will chime in. Suprd71 has literally decades of experience, in my opinion his advice is excellent.

Glad to see you've stuck around

• Vansie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Umm might have a slight problem guys. I use tap warter to fill my tanks. My ppm reader reads at 062 out of the tap! The pH is 7 ish usually. How am I going to curb this?. Could this be why it seems so high to you guys?. Does ppm go down after dechlorinator?.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hey guys just introducing myself.

What is it thats 062 from the tap? If ammonia, then your quality conditioner should bind to ammonium, then your properly functioning bio filter will complete the conversion to nitrate. If you have nitrate from the tap, there are limited options. You sure you trust this meter over the liquid test kit? What does 062 translate to in API terms? As for your w/c sched.... I would recommend a minimum twice weekly change moving past the daily. You have a severe overstock, and I doubt that a once weekly, even at max volume will tide you over to the next week.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Vansie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd!
Dude you could be right mybe my meter is buggered. (which is a shame I use this on my hydroponic reservoir)
check this.

imgur.com/r7AoFrn

Also I'm keeping up with 25 % daily down to high 70s low 80s I think last time I checked.

I'm going to keep doing whatever you guys recommend basically.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds