He's a rescue...

• bstrangely
  • bstrangely's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bstrangely created the topic: He's a rescue...

Hi! My story will probably be familiar... An inlaw of mine left to go to college and he decided not to do anything to ensure his fish would be cared for. He just left them in a tank in the room he had been staying in. We learned of this when we were out of town and said we would adopt the fish. So, when we got back, someone had been feeding the fish, but not monitoring the tank. We did tell them to pour some distilled water in, as it was apparently quite low when we got the initial call, and when we came to actually get the fish, the tank was very green, only about half full. It was a 55 gallon with one 7 inch (maybe?) tiger oscar and two plecos who are also pretty big. To move the fish, we took an empty tank that he'd never used (wtf is wrong with people), same size, moved it to our house and got it up and running, then returned for the fish. We moved them in two 9 gallon trashcans. When we moved him, he was dead black, and just kind of laying on his side gasping. I was honestly shocked that he made it, even though he struggled really fiercely when I attempted to catch him.

It has now been a week. The three fish seem to be doing great. The oscar's color returned and he's got a healthy appetite, very active and curious fish, unlike any I've ever owned. The plecos seem to be ok too. I'm writing because I'm pretty sure this set up is not really a good idea. A 55 gallon tank is way too small for these fish. We didn't cycle the tank properly because we didn't want to leave the fish in such a nasty place, and we've been keeping up pretty well with the chemistry, all things considered. Ammonia has only gotten as high as 2, but with lots of water changes we're keeping it under 1 pretty consistently. Nitrates at 20, temp is 78. He seemed to be developing HITH when I first got him home, but comparing photos, he seems to be recovering, not worsening. He also might have fin rot... a pink line around the end of his tail and dorsal, plus a small hole. So I'm curious about what you guys would do. Should I treat the fin rot or wait for the tank to stabilize first? And would you keep this trio together or break up the band? What size tank would we need for three messy fish of this size?

Thank you so much for your help! We'd really like to help this fish. I'm infuriated that he was in such bad shape. Will try to post pics soon.

Pics added! You can see the fin rot in the large photo, plus a four photo composite showing improvement of the pits in his face.
http://s5.photobucket.com/user/uncleosbert/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsptpkvoo0.jpeg.html?o=0

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/uncleosbert/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1qokqq9v.jpeg.html?o=2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bstrangely
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

bstrangely replied the topic: He's a rescue...

Derp. cannot get photos to work.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: He's a rescue...

Hi.....try using Photobucket. Just paste the IMG tag into your post .

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bstrangely

• bstrangely
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

bstrangely replied the topic: He's a rescue...

I did. I don't think Safari likes the Flash they are using. Am trying Firefox...

That did it :)

Ok... So here's the pic of his head since last week... Looks much improved to me.

And here's his fin rot. I got a chance to look at one of the plecos closely, and I think his fins also seem a little bloody. Harder to observe them because they're so skittish. Thanks for looking!

ThatDB replied the topic: He's a rescue...

Cool fish. He'll be fine, just get tid of the plecos. Feed him a couple earthworms, they love it and they're nutritious af. I actually got some ACF to grow bigger than what they're supposed to reach on earthworms.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds