White spot on oscar

• vogey
  • vogey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

vogey created the topic: White spot on oscar

I've got an Oscar in a 55 gal tank with (not %100 sure if a koi or shubunkin) they are both 6months+ old the Oscar is only 4-4.5" and for the last month has had a white spot on behind his gill . I've done the ick treatment a few times raised the temp of the tank to 80 and doubled the water changes (%25 twice a week) still hasn't gone away (b4 u yell at me bout tank size know that its on its way out just built the stand last night for my 6x1.5x2) is there anything more I should do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vogey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

vogey replied the topic: White spot on oscar

Sorry just noticed this is in wrong forum, I don't have pics to introduce my Oscar or his tank mate

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: White spot on oscar

Hello and welcome to OFL. Hard to say without a pic. Easiest way to post a pic is thru photobucket. Copy the img code and paste directly into the forum thread box. Tank size aside, those 2 fish should not be together. One cold water the other Amazonian based. 80 is comfy for Oscar, too warm for either koi or goldfish. You should also increase volume of water changes to at least 50% per change.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• vogey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Not tryin to argue about the temp compatibilitys, the first time I had any real contact I guess you could say with kois was in Hawaii were they thrived in these huge outdoor ponds/pools I figured being tropical n all that it would work (I normally have the temp at 76) the koi/shu is thriving he's huge and fat lol close to a foot long. I'm not opposed to separating them I do have a 75 gal tank. As for the ick treatment I think I found my problem. Some how I missed on the directions that u need a bare tank. I've never pulled any gravel out. Could I boil the substrate to kill any ick left when I switch tanks?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: White spot on oscar

Ich is not a single spot. It looks like the entire fish was under a salt shaker. All fish in the same tank would have it. The treatment is a salt solution and temperature of 87, at which the parasite cannot reproduce, or 90 that will kill the ich parasite. It is recommended that you keep temps up and salt active for at least 10 days after the ich has fallen off the fish. The single spot on your Oscar could be a calcium buildup, but not ich .If your gravel was still holding ich it would have migrated to the fish and re-infected them. 76 is bottom end for Oscars comfort, too cool imo.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• vogey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

There is more then one white spot, the main one I'm talking about is about as big as a pea, then there are 2-3 small white specs close to the bigger one witch is right behind his gill, there might be one on top of his eye too, i swear he hides that side from me! When u say it looks like a salt shaker do you mean it would look like grains of salt stuck to the side of the fish? my camera doesn't work ATM I'll try n figure out a way to get a pic if it. (The calico koi/shubunkin would be going in the 75, that's my wife's fish... Oscars mine and is gonna get the 125-150? 6x1.5x2) can angels and oscars be in the same tank?

P.s would the koi/shu survive 87-90 deg? If the Oscar is infect then they both are right? I assumed they were just hard to tell due to color of koi/shu.

• vogey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I thought I'd update this the white spot is gone but there is now another spot on his other side that looks a bit diff like a scale is mising. That I didn't notice till I got him in new tank, he was hard to get into the net, maybe a war wound?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds