Oscar's in new tank but same water?!

• Epc_1984
  • Epc_1984's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Epc_1984 created the topic: Oscar's in new tank but same water?!

I have had alot of help from this site with my Oscar's, I want to thank everyone for past and future advice. I decided to sign up to the site after a recent issue... which brings me to my problem.

My Oscar's were living in a 30g tank for a month now, they are about 3" maybe 4", still young. I know a 70+ galon is suitable for them when they are older so I am searching for a good setup. I recently set up a 50g for them, used most of their old tank water (which they were VERY active and happy) into their new tank... same filters... same heaters... same decorations. Didn't clean the decorations much... cleaned up the filter media. So in my mind, the tank is virtually the same just a little bigger plus a 30% water change. The Oscar's are being very sluggish sitting on the bottom, almost on their sides... every now and then the shoot around the tank. But the most part are just being "Lazy" I thought they were dying. But they are eating, not gasping for air, not 100% motionless and not upside down... water is good, temp is 78 - 82 degrees.

Does anyone gave suggestions? Would love to know what is going on. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar's in new tank but same water?!

Hello and welcome to OFL. First thing that stands out is that you cleaned the filter media. Its possible you killed any beneficial bacteria that that media may have held. More detail please on exactly what you did. Specifically what did you use(type of water) to clean the media. Beyond that you should be aware that 50g is still less than half the size your fish need. An Oscar needs 75g, just for 1 fish, by itself.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Epc_1984
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Epc_1984 replied the topic: Oscar's in new tank but same water?!

I used a small amount of the existing aquarium water to scrub any slime off of the media. Not a hard cleaning at all, still had bacteria on the decorations from the old aquarium. Would have been 28g of old water into the new tank. They are hiding and being lazy, after spending an hour in the tank they are more, upright, but still staying low near the bottom... very inactive.

I do understand they need a bigger tank, I am working on it as we speak. Just thought the upgraded size would make them happier... but it seems to have ruined their MoJo more then anything.

• Epc_1984
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Epc_1984 replied the topic: Oscar's in new tank but same water?!

I took a few pics, but I have NO IDEA how to post or attach them to my message.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar's in new tank but same water?!

welcome to the community. Suprd71 got you covered.

in posting picture, we suggest you create your own account at photobucket... it is free.
it will give you permanent file that can be use all the time... just copy and paste the URL

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds