Water testing

• Marrrlinthefish
  • Marrrlinthefish's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Marrrlinthefish created the topic: Water testing

Hey guys recently got my mums old fish tank I've put my Oscar in there with 2 electric blue two very small silver sharks 1 big black Angel fish an a convict. 200l tank if I measured correctly. Currently don't have any test kits from the shop, an my oscars lookin a tad pale. Anything I can use to test my water at home? Or any cheap product recomendations.? Total new by so don't b too harsh hah
Ps not sure how to add photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Water testing

Welcome to the site. You want to measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The most trusted product for this is the API freshwater liquid test kit. There are cheaper test strips, but they are not accurate. Until you can determine water parameters, do large water changes(75%) every 2-3 days. Its possible you are not cycled and its certain you have too many fish in 200l.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marrrlinthefish

• Marrrlinthefish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Marrrlinthefish replied the topic: Water testing

Hey ur right I do have too many fish. Probs get rid of the smaller ones, still really want a blue hump head not sure I can stop myself lol. My tank is 3 foot long an 1 an a half foot wide/tall, running two filters one large side mount an a medium submersible. Pleased to report oscars lookin a lot happier since posted yesterday, try for ur test kit info will be buying one asap, along with an auto setting ph for cichlids :) any other tips are welcome thanks man. Doing water change today as well how do I post a photo so I can show my tank, got two fish I need help identifying lol
Both aulonacaras

Easiest way to post pics is to use Photobucket. From your PB library, copy the img code of the pic, paste directly into the forum thread box. It appears you have a species mixing issue as well as an overstock. African cichlids should not be kept with American cichlids, especially South American. Water is different, diet is different. At 3ft long and 50 US gallons, your tank is actually very restrictive for Oscar, even if he were alone. He will not do well in there.

• Marrrlinthefish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Marrrlinthefish replied the topic: Water testing

Hmm didn't realise I figured all cichlids would be tank mates but then again copying the pet shop was my first mistake lol. Which are American / African?
I'm already looking for a larger tank for the oscar

Oscar and Angel are South American. Convict is Central American. The Silver Sharks may be Asian, Tinfoil barbs or Bala Sharks(they both get well over a foot long) The hump heads sound like Blue Dolphin cichlids of African heritage(Lake Malawi) Possible 10in length. All in all a very bad mix of fish. You arent the first ,certainly not the last to get bad info from a pet shop. They got your money, mission accomplished. We here only want to help you enjoy the hobby. You wont get false info or bad advice

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Water testing

Suprd71 got you coevered... you are in good hands....

Marrrlinthefish wrote: Hmm didn't realise I figured all cichlids would be tank mates but then again copying the pet shop was my first mistake lol. Which are American / African?
I'm already looking for a larger tank for the oscar

yeah... copying the pet shop is a bad move... first, those different fish in their tank do not stay together for a long time.... they are mix for a while until one of the fish had been sold or the one being bullied is transfered to another tank with less aggressive fish... Suprd71 is right, once the shop get your money... it is always your fault if you failed .. and tehy will offer you an alternative that will surely failed too LOL!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds