Sick Oscar

• loveoscar4e
  • loveoscar4e's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

loveoscar4e created the topic: Sick Oscar

Hi, our fish, Oscar came to us as a rescue due to what we believed to be a fungal infection. We have treated him for just over a year with numerous medications which are Artemis, Jungle Fungus Clear Fizz tablets, Melafix and most recently a medication to treat bacterial infections called Furn 2. He is growing increasingly worse and the infected areas on his skin are spreading. He is listless, disengaged and not eating. PH balance is correct and there are no nitrates in the water. Please advise and thank you :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sick Oscar

First thing is having no nitrate. Very low levels are good, having none may indicate an uncycled system. After a year, you of course should be easily established, but you may have done something to cause a system crash. Do you read any ammonia or nitrite? What sort of test are you using? Would like to see a good pic or 2 of the fish. Perhaps not fungal, instead parasite or bacteria. Could be plain old hole in the head, lateral line erosion. Cant advise without a clear diagnosis, and throwing meds at him for over a year with no results indicates a whole other problem.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• loveoscar4e
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

loveoscar4e replied the topic: Sick Oscar

Hi, thank you for responding. The test strips look like there are barely any nitrates. I haven't tested for amonia. The test kit is API Test Strips 5 in 1. I am trying to attach photos but having difficulty. I do think he has hole in the head with a separate problem as well. I am treating right now with Artemis which addresses a lot of things but it is spreading all over the infected side and moving to the other side. We thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Ok, first, test strips are notoriously inaccurate. Especially so if you have any ammonia or nitrite, that will throw a nitrate reading way off. Most trusted test kit is the API liquid kit. Medicating a tank with poor water quality renders the meds useless, they just wont work. The best thing you can do to properly begin is large volume water changes, BUT.. before that, can you tell us what has been your regular water change schedule? Frequency and volume per change please. What size tank is the fish living in? What is the filtration on the tank, how do you maintain the filter? Lots of questions, I know, but each plays a significant role in whats happening here. Finally, use Photobucket to forward pics. Copy the img code of the pic, paste directly into the forum thread box. Rest assured we can help you and your fish, just have to pinpoint a few things

• loveoscar4e
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hi, thank you so much for responding. I will look for the API liquid kit. I have changed 50% of the water at least one per week (only deviating from that when we were treating him with medicine and then going by the instructions on the medicine). He is in a 55 gallon tank by himself. We have 2 carbon filters that can handle 120 gallons and I change them every 2 weeks. I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble with the photos, I am continuing to try and post them. Thank you so much.

Ok, not so bad. First lets really attack the water. 55g is a bit small for an adult Oscar, and a weekly water change wont keep water safe. Start doing 75% volume every 3 days. Your filter changing/cleaning is probably eliminating a large amount of bacteria needed to process ammonia. You say carbon filters, please tell the brand and size of these units. Filter ratings mean nothing when dealing with large cichlids in small tanks. You need excessive filtration, and filters need to be carbon free, at all times. I am also going to recommend a salt solution for the water, but after we clean it up.

• loveoscar4e
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

We have the fish in our office at work, so I won't be able to respond with the brand/size of units until tomorrow morning...but I will reply with them as soon as I get there. It is definitely a carbon filtration system. I do put in fresh water salt 1x weekly. What would be the proper alternative to a carbon filter? I am not sure what photo bucket is.....sorry to be such a bother.

Photobucket is an image hosting site, its free to join and quite user friendly. Just google it and its all there. A quality cichlid filter should contain 2 components. Biological media, generally ceramic noodles, or rings. The beneficial bacteria grows and lives here. I suspect your filters have some sort of coarse pad for this purpose. 2nd is mechanical media, sponges of floss pads to catch debris and waste. These have to be rinsed or replaced when they finally fall apart. I suspect your filters have some sort of built in carbon in a cartridge of some sort. I will work with you on a daily basis, I'm off to night shift soon, but will look for your reply tomorrow. Do a large water change tomorrow, if you can toss the cartridges with carbon in them, or maybe pry apart and dump carbon out. If you cant get carbon out, toss and fill the void with filter floss or chunks of sponge.

• loveoscar4e
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• loveoscar4e
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds