Sick Oscar

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Sick Oscar

a gadget that is being used to test power supply like multi tester...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• loveoscar4e
  • loveoscar4e's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

loveoscar4e replied the topic: Sick Oscar

There are 2 Advanced Power Carbon filters. I hope you were able to see pics. He is the same this morning..listless, gasping and on the bottom. Is there anything I can treat with? I will do a big water change today and get the liquid test kit you recommended. Do you think there is a chance of saving him? I'm willing to buy a different filter more suited for his needs. How do you get rid of among a if it is present? Thanks again...

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sick Oscar

Good morning. DRACO is bang on with the hole in the head diagnosis. Do not despair, we have seen much worse, and I have personally healed fish in just as bad condition. You must realize that prolonged exposure to toxins and poor water in general has made the fish like this. Conversely, the cure is clean water. The power of clean water will amaze you if you have never witnessed its healing capabilities. You have asked a couple times what can you treat with. The answer is nothing... for now. Step one is get the water clean and keep it that way. If you are truly dedicated to save the fish, realize this is a months long process. It will require considerable amounts of time and may put a dent in your wallet. It is doable, and really not that difficult. Ammonia will be neutralized with each water change by using a quality water conditioner. Seachem Prime liquid is the one you want. One cap full with every water change. If you cant find it in local retailers, online like Amazon or Ebay will work fine.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

I had to google your filters and only got some filter system that attaches to house plumbing?? Your fish pics turned out fine, please post some of your filters. I suspect this is a major contributor to the problem.

• loveoscar4e
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

OK thank you. I will start doing this today (API liquid test kit, Seachem Prime with each water change....change 70% every 3 days)...any advice on filter system??

Will advise on filters after I can determine exactly what you have there. Just so you know, 55g is VERY difficult to maintain a healthy environment for an adult Oscar. There comes a stress issue from lack of space, water quality decays rapidly. Not to say its critically poor, we see people with Oscars in far less, but the more space and water volume the fish has, the better he will do. Should we get your Oscar in better health, he will need more room. Once afflicted with hith, the chances of recurrence are far greater than in a fish thats never had it. Its highly unlikely you will be able to keep this fish long term in a 55. You may need every day or every 2nd day water changes, for life. Not important right now, but for future planning.

Heading for some much needed sleep, I will check with you in about 8hrs. CHANGE THAT WATER!! And throw us a smile, its all good!

• loveoscar4e
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

We have 2 Whisper Advanced Power Filters with Multi Stage Filtration and each does 60 gallons each

• loveoscar4e
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• loveoscar4e
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hi, I posted the type of filters in a previous response....I'm still at my office and can't use photo bucket here. I did 70% water change and put in a cap full of Seachem Prime. I have an API FreshWater Master Kit now. He's not doing so well. Still hanging in there but not moving much....laying on rocks. Results from water test:
PH 7.0-7.2
Amonia .50ppm
N02 0ppm
N03 10ppm
Thank you

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds