Oscar needs to be Identified, Hello there

• 4runs3v
  • 4runs3v's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

4runs3v created the topic: Oscar needs to be Identified, Hello there

New to the hobby of keeping a Oscar fish. Was a GoldFish hobbyist, recently my nearby aquarist shop had a pair of oscar fish he insisted that i get (since my goldfish tank was affected by ich , the shop said oscar's are able to survive stress environments and have a long lifespan)
When I purchased the Oscar's they were about 1.5 inches(4cm) about 3 months later 1 of them died, which was disappointing which led me to this forum and ever since, I have been following the tips i can find here and keeping the remaining oscar healthy as i can.
I have maintained a balanced diet(Dried worms, shrimps, pellets), regular water changes(30-40 % every weekend), have a mechanical filter + a dyi biological filter (with the ceramic ring media), i do not have an water test kit with me(gonna get it in a month or two), the tank is a 30 gallon tank(yes it is small, will get a larger one once the oscar grows or in 3 months, whichever happens first)

There are two questions that has been bothering me :
1- I want to know exactly what type of oscar is the one which i have, they are looking like tiger oscar but they do not have Red spots or color patches, only the white color kinda patches on the sides.

2- Why isn't the oscar growing for the past 3.5 to 4 months from when i got them they are only 4inches(10.6 cm in length), how come they are not growing , or is this a normal rate of growth.

Information about the tank:

Substrate- sand
tank mates - Apple snail + Suckermouth catfish(Hypostomus plecostomus about a inch long)
Temp -27-28 Degree Celcius

Image 1:
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p495/4rund3v/File_000%201_zpsdxboqjyh.jpeg

Image 2:
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p495/4rund3v/File_000_zpsguqlbbnl.jpeg

Thank You In advance

:huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar needs to be Identified, Hello there

Hello and welcome to OFL. Pics of your fish arent very clear, or the fish may be lacking color in the first place. Which brings us to the basic problem. Not growing and looking kinda blah are caused by both tank size(3x too small) and not enough water changes. You are actually stunting the fishes growth by not having enough room and fish living in toxic water. You need a bigger tank like right now, not in 3 months. You need to change the water at a rate of 50% every 2-3 days. The Pleco will grow huge, to keep with the Oscar long term you need a tank of well over 100 gals, and filtration on the excessive side.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• 4runs3v
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

4runs3v replied the topic: Oscar needs to be Identified, Hello there

oh. thanks for the advice.
I thought they are too small for a bigger tank, will get a new large tank in a week.
About the fish, will the colour return to the fish or will it still grow?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar needs to be Identified, Hello there

Clean water and tankspace are 2 of the 3 keys to successful cichlid keeping. You cant have too much of either. Quality diet is the other. Get the biggest tank you can manage. An example of a setup I recently had.... 6ft 125 gal tank with large adult Oscar and similar sized pleco. Tons of filtration. I needed to change 75% of the water every 4-5 days to keep a healthy environment for both fish. Large plecos are the messiest thing you can have in an aquarium. Your fish should recover, to a large degree, but may not get to monster size or live a full life. Its possible, but rough starts in life usually take their toll later on. I would also be wary of your local shop. Insisting you get 2 Oscars and a pleco without the proper equipment to house them is suspect. They wanted and got your money.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• 4runs3v
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

4runs3v replied the topic: Oscar needs to be Identified, Hello there

Thank you, i have ordered a 65gallon tank ,arriving next week.
Ill update in a month after the change, Also any idea as to what this oscar might be? any guess??

Edit:
Couldnt wait a week, got a 60 galloon tank today.
Thanks for the tips !

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds