Sand or Gravel??

• bhupeshkhanna
  • bhupeshkhanna's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bhupeshkhanna created the topic: Sand or Gravel??

I am thinking of replacing gravels in my tank with sand... I have Arowana, peacockbass, oscar, severum, frontasa and Silver dollars.. is a 320 gallons tank (8x2.3x2.5). Someone told me oscar will die in sand in long run as sand will get into their stomach and will choke them.. is it true?? Can i use sand as per my stocking?

I asked a fish shop here in New delhi he confused me that there are different kinds of sands as per the fishes. That why i mentioned stockings here.. please advise which sand should i use??

Is sand better than gravel??

I have a blue background, with white and black rocks and driftwoods? Which color of sand should I go for..???

Please advise ..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Sand or Gravel??

Never heard of sand killing Oscars before. I kept Oscars in a 300 gallon aquarium for 10 years and that had sand in it and I didn't lose any because of the sand.

You can get different types of sand like silicon and other types. Most people just refer the normal pool sandwich is more than adequate for an aquarium. I had volcanic black sand in my aquarium. However, I wouldn't recommend dark substrate unless you have got really bright lighting.

I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. You can probably keep your aquarium cleaner if you use sand because the dirt and debris tends to sit on top, rather than get it embedded like it does with gravel. Also, I think sand is probably more natural for the fish, you don't often find gravel in the places where these fish live, it's more sandy mud type substrate.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• bhupeshkhanna
  • bhupeshkhanna's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bhupeshkhanna replied the topic: Sand or Gravel??

Going for sand.. how much sand is required for 8x2.5x3 feet tank with 2 inches of sand depth???

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Sand or Gravel??

8 x 2.5' x 3'? I suppose there is a calculation you could do the work out how much sand you need. However, that's probably about the same dimensions as my large tank that I had. I think I ended up buying about 10 bags of 5 kg sand, maybe a little bit more, can't remember, it was over 10 years ago.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:RE: Sand or Gravel??

bhupeshkhanna wrote: Going for sand.. how much sand is required for 8x2.5x3 feet tank with 2 inches of sand depth???

1 inche is more than enough. 2 inch will make it too tall and some toxic air bubble waste can get trapped in.

"Tapatalking"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds