new to OFL and new to oscars

• Skywalkstr95
  • Skywalkstr95's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Skywalkstr95 created the topic: new to OFL and new to oscars

Hey everyone im glad to be here, for years ive always wanted oscars but i was never able to get a tank or anything about 4month agos i got a 20 gal tank so i reseached which fish i could and couldnt get and obviously i couldnt get a oscar but i still made it home to other fish, some website i went to said 30 gal per adult oscar some said 55 some 75, so i wasnt exactly sure what to get (this was before i found OFL) so i got a 55 gallon and i got it setup for a month with a few fish in it after having it running good i went and got 2 oscars (tiger, and albino) and the guy told me 55 was plenty big enough obviously i know he may not be right after reading here, day 1 they looked happy eating well and exploring the tank on day 2 the albino one hovered a little lower but still looked fine on day 3 the albino hovered over the gravel in one spot i dont have the proper test kit right now but i order the API kit today so it wont be much longer and im taking a water sample to get tested tomorrow so ill let you guys know the results, i bought my filter before reading here too and had no idea there were different kinds of filter so i was wondering if the one i had was biological or what its a aqueon queitflow50, im going to try to include pics the tiger is still swimming around fine looking happy, i did a 30% water change today in attempt to help the albino when should i do another one? i have 8 tetras in there right now should i take them out??? all advice is helpful im gonna do whatever i can tomake the tank right for them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skywalkstr95
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Skywalkstr95 replied the topic: new to OFL and new to oscars

Day 4 albino still acting the same but the other one looks perfectly healthy, i took the waterto get tested and all he told me was there is a tiny bit of ammonia still present but he didn tell me ph or anything, how often should i change the water til its gone and should i add stability??

• Thank you received: 9

muddybear replied the topic: new to OFL and new to oscars

Ok-if you still have ammonia present your tank has not completed the cycling process. Unfortunately (unless you are prepared to return your fish) you will now have to complete this process with fish present. Daily water changes are needed in order to reduce the danger to your fish-55 is a small tank so changing 75/80% should not be a problem.
Be sure to dose with seachem prime or safe each time you change the water-this will have the added bonus of detoxifying the ammonia present in the tank.

As stated-55 gallons is far too small for two Oscars + tankmates, I believe it to be too small for one Oscar-if you intend to keep both fish you need to start shopping for a 6ft 125 ASAP. Your fish will grow fast.

Getting hold of that liquid test kit is essential so well done for getting it ordered-you will need to closely monitor all of your parameters over the coming weeks. Post your results to allow members to offer you the best possible advice.

I don't know anything about the filter you mentioned-what ever you have needs to be large enough to be turning over your tanks volume 4-5 times per hour.
What sort of media does it contain? If there is any carbon present remove it-carbon is believed to be a contributory factor to HITH. If you can get hold of a second filter along with some media from an already established tank you could go a long way towards solving your problem.

Biological filtration simply refers to media provided in order to establish a bacterial colony. In really basic terms:
Mechanical filtration=sponges
Biological filtration=ceramic rings/bio balls etc
Chemical filtration=activated carbon pads etc

Your fish would also benefit from some cover, somewhere to hide-your tank is very bare for young fish-could you get hold of some driftwood or even some plastic tubing for them?

Well, that's my 2p worth-I hope it's of some use to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skywalkstr95

JohnthePiper replied the topic: new to OFL and new to oscars

Coming from a former noob (my friend dumped my Dr. Fishy on me in a 10g tank), I'm going to tell you that you that looking at everything an adult oscar needs seems a bit daunting, but if you're motivated to do it correctly, you can do it! If I can manage to struggle my way through raising an oscar, anyone can do it! You're going to want to pick up AT LEAST 125 gallons worth of tank space to properly keep two adult oscars, and that is the hobby wide "minimum" for two adults. If you're unwilling or unable to accommodate that size tank then you need to take the pair back and get some other fish that would happily live out their lives in a 55.

The good news is that you've bought juveniles, so you've got a few months to get together the scratch needed to buy everything for them. Keep an eye on Craigslist for used tanks for less than half of what a new one would cost! muddybear pretty much summed up everything you need, to know, so if you follow their instructions, you'll be fine. I'll +1 on the cover though, you should get some larger pieces of driftwood or some rocks for them to hide behind.

• Skywalkstr95
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I greatly appreciate the advice everyone, im going to look into getting a bilogical filter now, and start doing a water change daily, has anyone ever used stability? its by seachem the same people who make prime, i am definitely willing to upgrade the tank size for these guys i ish i had known awhile ago lol but its okay,so i should take the tetraas out asap correct?

The tetras will most likely need to go, unless you want the oscars making meals out of them eventually. I've never used Stability, I prefer using Nite Out in all of my new tanks, I can't recommend it enough! Save yourself the headache and get massive filtration as early as possible. I struggled with water quality with my HOB filter for months until I could move my Oscar to the 75 he's in now. I recommend the Penn Plax Cascade 1500 ($99 on Amazon) if you're unable to spend the money on an Eheim or Fluval canister filter. Mine runs very well, and I'm about to purchase another just to overfilter the heck out of my aquarium. Don't worry about making a beginner's mistake, everyone has done it at some point in their fish keeping career! Have you thought of names for the little guys yet?

• Skywalkstr95
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

and do i have to let the water im going to change it with sit with prime for a day or can i add it whenever?

• Skywalkstr95
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ill definitely look into that filter ive thought of names but i really suck at naming so theyre still nameless for the time being hopefully as they grow something about them will give me an idea for the name

I would go ahead and do the water change and immediately add the Prime. A lot of Prime's ammonia detoxifying abilities will die after about a day, and you'll need that for your cycle!

• Skywalkstr95
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

okay thank you so much im going to do one first thing in the morning, my albino is actually swiimming around now trying to be with the other one so hopefully thats a goood sign, these tetras i have i dont wanna kill them so shoild i take them to the store?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds