Oscar Not Eating (Worried)

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Oscar_Meyer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Oscar_Meyer created the topic: Oscar Not Eating (Worried)

I'm new to the site and I have a question about my O. I just moved my oscar into a brand new tank (45G), and I waited a day for some bacteria to grow but it wasn't a full cycle. However, my oscar used to eat some food in my 10G when i dropped the food in front of him. Now, he's not eating at all and it's been almost 2 days now; he's only about 3 inches so I would expect him to be hungry by now. I'm just worried that he's sick, not liking the food, or maybe he's just adjusting. I'd really appreciate some opinions/ tips, and or some constructive criticism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar Not Eating (Worried)

Hello and welcome to our community.

Unfortunately 45 gallons will not be big enough for your Oscar but it reaches adult hood. So in the next few weeks you should consider upgrading by at least 20 or 30 gallons, the bigger the better.

An aquarium takes anywhere between six and eight weeks to cycle properly. Simply waiting a couple of days won't do anything at all.

You need to be checking the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH for the next few weeks. Have you got a test kit?. As for your water, it will need to be checked on a daily basis and water changes will need to be carried out in order to keep the ammonia and nitrite at a level that won't kill the fish.

Please get back to us so we can try and help

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar Not Eating (Worried)

Hello and welcome to OFL. You may have, unknowingly and certainly unintentionally, damaged the fish by keeping it in a 10g tank. Oscar is a fast growing, waste producing cichlid that needs big space, even when small at 2ins or so. No Oscar should ever be in a 10g tank. How long was it in there?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar_Meyer

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Oscar_Meyer replied the topic: Oscar Not Eating (Worried)

Thanks I'll try my best to keep up with all of the necessities and will look into getting a larger tank. He's only 2 inches right now but I know that if I can properly care for him he'll become 12 inches by early next year, but thanks again for the help and info!

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I kept the oscar in the 10 gal for about 3 weeks at the most. Did I seriously hurt him?

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar Not Eating (Worried)

3 weeks in 10 g may have stressed him a bit, but damage... highly unlikely. I was concerned it may have been a few months. I would heed all advice and info given in the first response to your thread. When the fish attains a length of 75% the tank width, its time for a bigger tank. Eg, a 12in wide tank should not have a cichlid of more than 8ins in length.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar_Meyer

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I'm extremely worried now... he goes to the top of the tank and sits there. Sometimes he'll even do it on his side and I think that he's 100% dead but then he starts to look at me, and swim away but now he won't swim away and he's just looking at me. I'm afraid it's too late for him, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I went to check my oscar this morning, and he was laying in his side at the top of the tank, but when I went to look at him this time he looked absolutely dead. I watched his eyes, checked his gills, look too see for any fin movement, but nothing....And when I finally went to go get the net because I was sure he was dead he's started to swim right back down to the tank and he preceded to lay down there. I really don't know what to do.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar Not Eating (Worried)

oscar does sleep too, either floating or lay down at the bottom
when you poke it, it will dart swimming aimlessly... sometime, hurting itself.

just make sure the water is good and you don't need to worry

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks Draco, I realized that O's liked to sleep on the bottom or lay there. But, I didn't realize they did it at the top as well. I went to pet smart and had a water tear done. They told me the alkalinity was low so I got something called Neutral Regulator and that fixed it right up. I'll leave a couple pellets at the top just to see if he'll bother with them and I'll find none of them there, and sometimes I'll even catch him in he act as well. So I'm happy that he's eating, and I think he's happier that the water has been fixed for now. Thankyou guys SO much for responding to my distress call, and helping out. I really appreciate you guys, and have a great rest of your day!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds