Water Changes...

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Oscar_Meyer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Oscar_Meyer created the topic: Water Changes...

I have come to an understanding as a fairly recent fish owner that water changes are practically the single most important thing when it comes to being a caring fish owner. At the moment I'm housing a single baby oscar (about 2 inches) in a 45 gallon tank. I understand that I will need to upgrade this tank once he reaches about 75% of the tanks width. But for now he/she is still only a baby. I have an important question about how much I need to replace during a water change with only a 2 inch baby. Will a 50% weekly water change be enough? More frequent, less gallons? Less frequent, more gallons? I would love to hear your responses!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Water Changes...

If you've only got the one fish in the aquarium and even though it's only 45 gallons the 2 inch Oscar is not going to be producing a massive bioload so I would imagine a weekly water change will be more than enough. However, the best thing to do is carry out your 50% water change, then about five hours later do a nitrate test and see where you are. If your nitrates are no higher than 20 ppm, preferably closer to 10 ppm then you know you are okay. However, if a water change results in nitrate levels remaining above 20 ppm then you're obviously not changing the enough.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Water Changes...

Also keep in mind that, while nitrate management is a good general indicator of water change necessity, there are more elements in the water column that should be kept minimal. Oscar is a messy fish. They urinate and defecate constantly. Just think this way.. they live in their own toilet, and flushing said toilet as often as possible is only benefit for the fish. Its easy to do too little of water changes, but nearly impossible to do too much.The more clean water you throw at the fish, the better it will do. Especially relevant while it grows and matures, and builds a strong immune system

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Oscar_Meyer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Oscar_Meyer replied the topic: Water Changes...

Thankyou and I'll have my water tested for nitrate levels fairly shortly after my water change. I just wanna make sure I can really care for my oscar. Thanks again!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds