shipping pet oscar, CA to FL

• central coast oscar
  • central coast oscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

central coast oscar created the topic: shipping pet oscar, CA to FL

Has anyone had any success shipping their oscar across country? Looking to ship 2x four inch, 1x seven inch fish from CA to FL via USPS. No food for the fish a couple of days before to minimize fish-poo, then individually bagged with minimal water, bottled O2, (leaving the bag squishy so it won't pop) then styrofoam container settled within insulated box, labeled as "LIVE FISH" or "LIVE AQUATIC PLANTS".

Planing to mail the fish overnight the day before my flight, then hopefully meeting up with them after landing. Any thoughts or suggestions particular to oscars? Something I've missed? Thanks, Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:shipping pet oscar, CA to FL

I have never shipped Oscars, but I bought two large clown loaches and had them delivered by post and it went perfectly okay, no problems. And clown loaches can be very vulnerable if stressed out so I don't think you should have much problem with the Oscars as long as they are packaged properly. There are quite a few places that send fish by post and a lot of fish come in from abroad so it is quite common. Sounds to me as if you have thought things out really well. Good luck

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• central coast oscar
  • central coast oscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

central coast oscar replied the topic: Re:shipping pet oscar, CA to FL

Thanks for the positive comments: I hope I've not forgotten anything. In a previous move from Florida to Virginia, I'd placed an 11" ocscar in a large garbage bag aerated with a battery powered bubbler and the whole kit placed within a sturdy plastic igloo. Although I thought his chances weren't high, he was remarkably well after four days of travel in the passenger seat of my car, which had been loaded onto the car-carrier portion of the train I was travelling in.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the new move. Thanks again,

Andy

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:shipping pet oscar, CA to FL

Well, if it worked then, there is no reason why it shouldn't go okay this time. Oscars are remarkably hardy fish sizes don't see any problems as long as they get enough oxygen and they are not left to get too cold. You are correct though, don't feed them for at least two days, this way, they won't produce as much waste into such a small space when they are travelling. Fish will be okay without food for a few weeks which people don't realise.

Good luck and why not do an article on here about it, it would be very helpful to other people

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds