on average how big is your oscar

• Thank you received: 2

suzerstar replied the topic: on average how big is your oscar

He is a giant!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 replied the topic: on average how big is your oscar

Mine is fully grown and your fish size is out of this world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: suzerstar

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: on average how big is your oscar

it is possible if the tail is included... and if that is so.. my long fin oscar measures 19 inches... 13" body, and 6" tail LOL!

suzerstar replied the topic: on average how big is your oscar

OFL wrote: Blimey, 16 inches at 18 months old. How have you measured the Oscar?

Maybe you could try and take a photo with something else in the photo that we compare the size to.

Yes Sir... 16 inches including tail, he/she is outgrowing his 90gal, & showing no signs of stopping. I am as surprised considering he was the runt of the litter... My previous Tiger Oscar Grew to 15 inches and lived for 14 years....How long do they normally continue to grow?

This is a slightly better picture.

Sorry about it being sideways..... :-/

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: on average how big is your oscar

Compared to the pics of Hope and Bolle from some years ago, my 2 new babies grow an inch a month, and are about 5 inch at 5 months old. (pb is Not working properly, sorry, no pics)

I'm hoping they grow up to a massive size like the one from the previous message... But that big I have only seen maybe twice in my life. Congrats!
The following user(s) said Thank You: suzerstar

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:on average how big is your oscar

Suzerstar. You say its wild caught?

What do you feed her and how often?

I currently have no oscar but had 2 for some time but reached no more than 12inches.

Good news is that im working on having oscars again :)

"Tapatalking!"

suzerstar replied the topic: Re:on average how big is your oscar

S.S. wrote: Suzerstar. You say its wild caught?

I currently have no oscar but had 2 for some time but reached no more than 12inches.

"Tapatalking!"

He was purchased as a "Wild Oscar" at my exotic LFS, . Was more $$ than the Tiger Oscars in the next tank ,was way more shy. (Had to put a school of Tiger Barbs from another tank in as dither fish which he did NOT eat! January 2016 I moved them back to their tank ) The coloring looked different on the all the "Wild" ones...They were black with grey.

A daily diet of:

Hikari BioGold
Hikari Cichlid Gold
Krill
Hikari Carnivore sticks

Weekly diet-
Peas
Bananas
Romaine Lettuce Leaves
Oranges/Apples (peeled cut into bite size pieces)
Cockroaches
Crickets
Frozen Shiners (cut)
Superworms

When he was just a baby-8 months old
I fed him 3-4 times a day

Now that he is all grown up I feed him the same diet, 1 time every other day..... But with all the begging that he does, in reality it is still every day. lol

Žarić replied the topic: Re:on average how big is your oscar

My red is Bruno he is 4,5 months old 18-20 cm

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:on average how big is your oscar

suzerstar wrote:

"Tapatalking!"

He was purchased as a "Wild Oscar" at my exotic LFS, . Was more $$ than the Tiger Oscars in the next tank ,was way more shy. (Had to put a school of Tiger Barbs from another tank in as dither fish which he did NOT eat! January 2016 I moved them back to their tank ) The coloring looked different on the all the "Wild" ones...They were black with grey.

A daily diet of:

Hikari BioGold
Hikari Cichlid Gold
Krill
Hikari Carnivore sticks

Weekly diet-
Peas
Bananas
Romaine Lettuce Leaves
Cockroaches
Crickets
Frozen Shiners (cut)
Superworms

Now that he is all grown up I feed him the same diet, 1 time every other day..... But with all the begging that he does, in reality it is still every day. lol

Hikari cichlid food will be on my Oscar diet to for sure. have some doubts:

- When you say daily dit you only gave one of the 4 mentioned pellets and kril or more than one each of the 4 times?
- Krill in wich form, frozen? dried?
- The weekly diet was feed only one item each time or several each time? And only one meal a week or you mean that one of the 4 meals per day was from the weekly diet ingredients?
- Live Cockroaches and Crickets?
- Frozen Shiners (cut) dont recognize the word...
- Superworms are they bloodworms? frozen or alive?

I see a lot of topics about feeding and wich items are beiing feed but the form how they are distributed is not always clear for me so these are my questions if you can help.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017! :woohoo:

suzerstar replied the topic: Re:on average how big is your oscar

S.S. wrote:

suzerstar wrote:

"Tapatalking!"

A daily diet of:

Hikari BioGold
Hikari Cichlid Gold
Krill
Hikari Carnivore sticks

Weekly diet-
Peas
Bananas
Romaine Lettuce Leaves
Cockroaches
Crickets
Frozen Shiners (cut)
Superworms

Hikari cichlid food will be on my Oscar diet to for sure. have some doubts:

- When you say daily dit you only gave one of the 4 mentioned pellets and kril or more than one each of the 4 times?

- Krill in wich form, frozen? dried?
- The weekly diet was feed only one item each time or several each time? And only one meal a week or you mean that one of the 4 meals per day was from the weekly diet ingredients?
- Live Cockroaches and Crickets?
- Frozen Shiners (cut) dont recognize the word...
- Superworms are they bloodworms? frozen or alive?

I see a lot of topics about feeding and wich items are beiing feed but the form how they are distributed is not always clear for me so these are my questions if you can help.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017! :woohoo:

When you say daily dit you only gave one of the 4 mentioned pellets and kril or more than one each of the 4 times?

I usually (as a baby) would grab a total of approximately 6 mini size BioGold and Cichlid gold pellets, and 1 or 2 Hikari Freeze dried Krill together in my hand to drop in the tank 3 times everyday, The 4th feeding time would consist of a vegetable/fruit. I tried to vary his diet everyday by mixing different food together to keep him always waiting for the next meal.

NOTE: I used frozed Peas thawed first in tank water, and popped them out of their outer skin. Don't feed more than 2 peas a week, as it also doubles a a fish laxative.

Krill in wich form, frozen? dried?
Hikari Freeze Dried Krill

The weekly diet was feed only one item each time or several each time? And only one meal a week or you mean that one of the 4 meals per day was from the weekly diet ingredients?

I fed a mix of pellets 3 times everyday. His 4th meal was from his weekly diet menu, example: 2 bites of banana+2 bites of orange..

Live Cockroaches and Crickets?
Yes. Cockroaches are totally his favorite!! He begs like crazy and overflows his tank when I enter the room with "the bag" lol

Frozen Shiners (cut) dont recognize the word...

It's actually large frozen Minnow-like fish. Thawed in tank water first. I don't feed my Oscar feeder fish for fear of parasites, these are the next best thing.

Superworms are they bloodworms? frozen or alive?

No, they are not Bloodworms.
They are alive similar to mealworms/earthworms.
When I tried to feed him bloodworms even as a baby, he looked at me with a frown, and did not attempt to eat them. I'm thinking they were too small for them to see as food.

Another treat he absolutley LOVES! is grasshoppers. I catch them outside in the summer for him.

Hope that helps! Good luck with yours! :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds