tank size

• robo3340
  • robo3340's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

robo3340 created the topic: tank size

hi everyone im 15 and i have just bought a tropical 180L tank. its well filtered sand on the bottom with only a little bit of greenery. as soon as i saw the oscar fish i fell in love with it. and i am going to buy one. but i just wanted to speak with some other oscar lovers. will my oscar be ok on a oscar tank measuring 3 foot long 1.5 foot wide and 2 foot high? its 180L not sure how many gallons that is. he and a catfish will be the only ones in there is this tank to small for him?
please get back to me asap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Bella replied the topic: Re:tank size

Hi , i have mine in the same size tank at the moment,but by herself, shes 2 1/2 years old,i have a undergravel and a internal filter running and she seems to be doing quite well and the tank stays clean ,she has never been sick and is happy ,the only thing with a catfish is that they are a very messy fish and when they are bigger you will need a bigger tank!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:tank size

Your tank is just over 55 UK gallons which is just about big enough for one Oscar, although I would always recommend around 75 gallons. Bear in mind that you should not add any other fish that will get reasonably big which really does mean you can only have the Oscar. You will have to carry out regular tank maintenance and keep a very close check on your water quality.

Under gravel filters not recommended with Oscars. They can become clogged up very easily. If this happens, your water quality will go downhill rapidly. Just keep a close check on them and make sure they don't get bunged up with crap

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

robo3340 replied the topic: Re:tank size

thanks alot for the help yes ill do a 20% water change each week and a clean out each week :) very into the hobbie i just sold off my coral tank which was 150L . thanks alot for the help! geat site for infomation :)

thanks alot for the help yes ill do a 20% water change each week and a clean out each week :) very into the hobbie i just sold off my coral tank which was 150L . thanks alot for the help! geat site for infomation :)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

No problem, glad I could help.

If you use a gravel cleaner when doing water changes the undergravel wont get clogged.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

If you take a lot of care, then problems shouldn't arise. But it is widely agreed that under gravel filters can be rather troublesome. Personally, you can't beat a really good external canister filter. In fact, I had tea running on my tank and boy do I need them. Next time we clean the filters, I am going to make a video just to show everybody just how messy Oscars are.

in my tank i have 2 cheapo internal filters that sit in the tank. its called a vita pet cystal clear filter 700.
and i have 2 of them one set to bubble and blow and the other set to just blow they seem to be doing a great job at cleaning my tank :) and they were only $20 each. i am upgrading to an external canaster filter in march but these should do for me :)
wont they?

mine has been running for two and 1/2 years and hasnt been glogged yet,but i am also running an internal, any info on a better filter system is good though, i probly need to upgrade, but i do have to say my tank is always clean,and in the aquarium shops thats what they use.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds