New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

• phyregod
  • phyregod's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

phyregod created the topic: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

Hi! I'm new to the forum and had a couple of questions..

Due to my location, I only have two sources to purchase fish. Wal-Mart and the local lfs. Now, the LFS's oscars over the last several months (I've checked every shipment) have been very poor/unhealthy. Wal-Mart's have been bright, alert, seemingly well bred (Surprisingly) but have had ich/ick in every shipment.

So, I know I can cure ick. So I finally broke down and purchased the wally-world oscars, which is a no-no, I know... Now I'm treating them in a tiny hospital tank and would like the forum's information and advise!

I've always treated whole tanks for ick, but I don't want to introduce the babies to my 88g and have them infect the whole thing, So I've set them up in a 2.5g hospital tank, floated in the 88g. The two oscars are about 2 inches each. Temp is 81 degrees, they have a little whisper 5 filter running (no filter in it) for circulation, and an air stone. No gravel or decor. Tank was set up with 2 gallons bottled spring water, a few drops of "start right", a tsp of salt, and water tests come out perfect. I am treating them with Quick Cure (formalin, malachite green combo) every 24 hours, and doing 50% water changes, vacuuming the bare bottom of all debris.

The question is, Will this hospital tank setup work until the ick is cured? (a week give or take) Or is this tiny tank going to over stress them or cause other problems? I floated the 2.5 in the 88g, secured to the side, so the fish at least have a good view and hopefully feel less confined.. and to maintain a solid temperature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11

WylDe Billy replied the topic: Re: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

i dont understand why the tank is floating in the other tank

me i would set up a tank of to the side and treat them .. i would also use a filter without carbon
to make the tank cycle fast

tank temp 82 degress, salt, and malachite green are my fav ick cure .. but the malachite green with turn your tanks silcone blue/green

wait 10 days after there is no sign of ick .. so the "eggs" hach and get killed

also .. order fish if you cant find good ones .. in the USA there is a place ive ordered for in the past that has a flat $24 dollar shipping rate
took 12 hrs. to get a fish from san diego to southern indiana
www.aquariumfish.net/

good luck

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

Hello and Welcome.

The easiest way to treat ick is to turn the tank temp up to 86 degrees and leave it there for 10 after the last spot is gone.
Make sure you add oxygen to the tank as higher temps deplete oxygen. And make sure you do a big gravel vac to clear any of the parasite that is living in the gravel...

Hope this helps! :)

• Thank you received: 21

seymore replied the topic: Re: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

X2 what nicki said

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

Welcome to the site, ..... stick around a while.

and Ich can be treated reasonably effectively... no real worries there.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Thank you received: 2

galactus replied the topic: Re: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

i have my hospital tank set to the side for treatment with a regular filter without carbona nd its own heater. i dont think you need to have it floating inside your mother tank. bought my first O from walmart. healthy as an ox and growing like a weed :D
goodluck with the ick problem, i really dont know much about it, but it sounds like you have everything under control

• Thank you received: 26

Jdempsey replied the topic: Re: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

Miss Nicki wrote: Hello and Welcome.

The easiest way to treat ick is to turn the tank temp up to 86 degrees and leave it there for 10 after the last spot is gone.
Make sure you add oxygen to the tank as higher temps deplete oxygen. And make sure you do a big gravel vac to clear any of the parasite that is living in the gravel...

Hope this helps! :)

Miss Nicki is spot on. I did this when my 55 had the ick. I do not like adding medicines to my tank unless i have to.

• phyregod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

phyregod replied the topic: Re: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

Did a 95% water change in the 88g tank, cranked the temp up to 86, did the 3tbs salt/5g water ratio, and moved the oscars over from the hospital tank. The oscars are currently showing no visible signs of ich, and I was careful to pluck them out without getting near the bottom of the hospital tank, so as to leave as many parasites behind as possible. Either way, the big tank is set up to handle the ich, so we should be in the clear soon. Fingers crossed!!!

• phyregod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

phyregod replied the topic: Re: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

Well, few days later, the O's are healthy as a pair of oxen! No sign of ich. Still keeping the temp and salt treatment up for another week just to be certain.

• scfalconry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Live, Learn & Share!
  • Thank you received: 7

scfalconry replied the topic: Re: New Oscars, ich/ick treatment... Questions!

Glad it all went well for you and the fish.

Marty

Green spotted puffers ARE NOT COMMUNITY FISH despite what the sales person at the LFS says.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds