What to feed oscar??? All your questions answered!

• Thank you received: 0

oscar face replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answer

GOLD FISH R FINE FOR UR OSCARS BUT ONLY AS TREATS AN IF U QUARANTINE URSELF, IT REPLICATES HOW LIFE IS IN THE WILD AS THEY R PREDATORY CICHLIDS IT ALSO KEEPS THEM VERY ACTIVE AND IT EXERCISES THERE HUNTING SKILLS, SOME PEOPLE JUST DNT LIKE IT BECAUSE THEY R ALIVE BUT ITS OK TO PUT A LIVE EARTHWORM IN !! I THOUGHT THE IDEA OF TAKIN THE FISH FROM THE WILD AN PUTTIN IT IN A LITTLE GLASS TANK IS BAD ENOUGH BUT NOT LETTING IT LIVE NATURALLY IS 10TYMZ WORSE, I HAVE TWO 7 INCH OSCARS BOTH REDS 1 ALBINO IN A 650LTR SUMP TANK BEEN FED ON CICHLID GOLD, GOLD FISH AN SHRIMP AN THEY R MINTAS BEST COLOURATION IV SEEN AN ULTRA ACTIVE
The topic has been locked.

happygrl replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answer

Jan 24,09 started the 1st day healthy day of my 8 yr O (10 1/2"now). He was in horrible acidic conditions, no heat, no filter, very little air bubbles the day I took him him. I had an established 10gal and kept feeder goldfish, minnows separate. I gave him 2 a week for 2 months. The first time he wasn't sure and he would just swim with them..but the predatory came out and he loved it.I tried a small piece of shrimp that i warmed..and he loved that. his colors are a pretty green now.and his HITH is not apparent.

I'm not a Fish Eater, But I am a Fish Lover :kiss:

oscar face replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answer

NO DOUBT NOW HAPPY GRL HAS HAPPY FISH

happygrl replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answer

this is my 1st O, but I've had aquarm for 40yrs, this site has is priceless. the moderators, and users of this forum have helped save many fish. I love it, if I could rescue more and if it leads to helping others find a home I'd do it again.

I'm not a Fish Eater, But I am a Fish Lover :kiss:
  • Verse34K
  • Verse34K's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answer

oscar face wrote:

GOLD FISH R FINE FOR UR OSCARS BUT ONLY AS TREATS AN IF U QUARANTINE URSELF, IT REPLICATES HOW LIFE IS IN THE WILD AS THEY R PREDATORY CICHLIDS IT ALSO KEEPS THEM VERY ACTIVE AND IT EXERCISES THERE HUNTING SKILLS, SOME PEOPLE JUST DNT LIKE IT BECAUSE THEY R ALIVE BUT ITS OK TO PUT A LIVE EARTHWORM IN !! I THOUGHT THE IDEA OF TAKIN THE FISH FROM THE WILD AN PUTTIN IT IN A LITTLE GLASS TANK IS BAD ENOUGH BUT NOT LETTING IT LIVE NATURALLY IS 10TYMZ WORSE, I HAVE TWO 7 INCH OSCARS BOTH REDS 1 ALBINO IN A 650LTR SUMP TANK BEEN FED ON CICHLID GOLD, GOLD FISH AN SHRIMP AN THEY R MINTAS BEST COLOURATION IV SEEN AN ULTRA ACTIVE

first off, please take the capps lock off. there's no use yelling. You can feed live fish, just not goldfish EVEN IF YOU DO QUARANTINE!!! Goldfish are high in thiamine, a chemical that breaks down vitamin b1, which leads to a vitamin deficiancy which is FATAL to your oscar! Please, do NOT feed your oscar goldfish! If you want him to be "active" breed convicts and feed those!!!!!

Peace out.

vanilla1781 replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answer

this is all so interesting, i had no idea you shouldnt feed your oscar goldfish, we give ours some once every month or two as a treat and she loves them but i guess i wont be doing that anymore! I also found it funny that you should feed them convicts, we have a convict in our tank and he is more aggresive then our O. He is always attacking our oscar and she just backs away and hides lol.
  • Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answered!

the reason convicts are mentioned as feeders is mainly because the breed like rabbits. it is easier to keep a constant supply this way. if you do use cons as feeders the small fry will pose no threat to your oscars.

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

canti replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answered!

What about young a young O? I've been feeding mine cichlid flakes and bloodworms and he does great with them, he about 2" is it ok to keep that diet up until he gets bigger or is there something else i should introduce to keep the variety up?
  • Verse34K
  • Verse34K's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answer

an oscars diet should be pretty much the same his whole life, except juveniles can be feed flakes and such when young.. obviously you don't want to be feeding a 14'' monster flake food.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re:What to feed oscar??? All your questions answered!

canti wrote:

What about young a young O? I've been feeding mine cichlid flakes and bloodworms and he does great with them, he about 2" is it ok to keep that diet up until he gets bigger or is there something else i should introduce to keep the variety up?

as they grow, they change the manner of eating. juvinile eats like a pig, while grown up eat volumes but less frequently. are willing to put in a lot of small pellets for the grown up oscar? as they grwo, you need a bigger chunks of pellets or frozen foods.
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds