hole in the head.

• oscarkeepa
  • oscarkeepa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

oscarkeepa created the topic: hole in the head.

Hi I'm going to be straight out here, my brother set me a new tank up and filled it up with water put in chlorine neutraliser and aqua salt and he didnt cycle it!! and I think one of my oscars may have hole in the head is there any way to one day cycle it and get rid of hole in the head? or are my prized oscars going to die cuz of a good samaritin?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:hole in the head.

In cases like this, a photographed is very helpful. Oscars often get little knocks and abrasions, especially around their head. This can be mistaken for hole in the head sometimes. Normally, early stages of hole in the head disease and abrasions can be cleared up with regular and increased to tank maintenance. Poor water conditions will certainly increase the chances of a fish getting hole in the head and they will certainly make healing virtually impossible.

When you say is there anyway to one day cycle it, it needs to be cycled ASAP. Put it this way, how would you like to live in a house that is constantly filled with deadly toxins? That is what an untitled tank would be like for the fish which is why it is always important to cycle a tank before putting your Oscar in it. I would advise you to read the section on "how to cycle a tank" if there is any way you can put your Oscar somewhere else until the tank is cycled, you will do him a lot of favours

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• oscarkeepa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

oscarkeepa replied the topic: Re:hole in the head.

I could put them in my brothers 8 foot tank, but as you could imagine an 8 foot tank would have massive fish in it, Im affraid there isnt any where else expcept a bucket and that my stump his growth, my pump is only a power head but it pumps 1000 litres/hr. but I am getting a canister soon, I think it may be too late, are they hardy enough to survive with plenty of wc changes?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

No, don't put it in a bucket, that won't do it any good. I am a little confused, are you saying that your brother has big fish in his eight-foot tank? If the fish aren't big enough to eat your Oscar, then that would be an ideal place to put your Oscar if it is cycled already. You could always take it back to the shop and explain your situation, maybe they would keep hold of it until you are ready? Failing that, a small water change every day is about the best you can before it. The tank would have to cycle would be Oscar in it. Not an ideal situation, but better than leaving the fish in a bucket. Have you not got a filter at all?

• oscarkeepa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I have this little power head with untrue advertising it sed on the box it goes for 100litres an hour, but I am getting a canister soon to get rid of the little one. and the 8 footer has a full grown oscar a green terror a yellow wierd thing a blue thing a chinese algea eater and two multisplenoses, I have read ur tank mate page and it says the g.t and oscar dont mix but theyr ok they have little fights every now and again. back to my tank lol, I bought my fish from a market I know bad idea, but i guess Ill have to let it cycle whilst they are in it and how much a water change do you suggest I do daily?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

The powerheads I am familiar with are not filters, they are the sort of things that you put in ponds to get the Fountains working. If this is the case, you have absolutely no filtration in your tank at the moment. Quite honestly, you are in a dire situation. I would seriously think about getting rid of your fish for the time being because they are going to die very soon if you don't. You can't have fish like Oscars and no filtration, it just will not work. Put your fish in with your brother's if you can. I wouldn't worry about the other fish for the time being, even if they do you fight a little bit, it's better than being in a tank was no filtration

• oscarkeepa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

no no no! it has a filter, i must used wrong wording, it is small filter, there is definitly filtration here.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I apologise. Don't get any other fish until you have your own you can as to filter working properly. Could take a few weeks.

• oscarkeepa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

oh man I wish I read this page before I went out, I ended up coming home with a white convict. . . Im sceptical if it is actually a convict It looks like one but I cant find onfo on it. man I bummed out bad here.

Bella replied the topic: Re:hole in the head.

convicts are tough little fish and ive never heard of one getting hole in the head not saying they cant but ive only ever heard of big fish getting it mainly oscars and uarus ,ive seen a tank that the owner had in the gararge and thought the convict was dead so he turned the heater and filter of ( it was winter) and just let the tank sit there for a few months, it wasnt till i went there and was looking in the tank and found he was still alive and alot bigger even though he hadnt been given any food ,the tank was all green ,it was lucky i stood there looking for a while or i might have missed him ,so i woulnt stress to much.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds