Oscar Fish

• FishKeeper
  • FishKeeper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

FishKeeper created the topic: Oscar Fish

Hello Everyone,
My tank dimensions are (36'' x 15'' x 18'' ) , I have kept fish in the past though i have no experience with an Oscar , I am fully aware of the fact that majority of the fish keepers recommend a minimum of 55 Gallon , and my question may sound very lame to many experienced hobbyists on this forum , but out of hope i thought to try my luck , is there any chance or possibility that can allow me to house a single Oscar in my tank for life with no tankmates at all ??.. , my tank has 3ft length and its width is 15'' , it has no decoration at all , its an empty tank with regular substrate and the filteration and i have no plans to add any type of decoration so that enough room in my tank is there for the O to swim (by enough i mean space in my small tank , i know enough space for an O is minimum 4 feet ).. I cant afford to upgrade my tank not at this point in time atleast , and i am very keen about these lovely creatures with so much of personality. Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Oscar Fish

I'd highly recommend against it. An oscar needs a 55 minimum ... and that's for himself without any tankmates. I understand your admiration for these fish - I'm the same way. I had mine alone in a 55 when I first got him as a baby and then I moved him to a 75 after a few months to give him more room. Oscars can get huge and produce a lot of waste. They really do need a large tank.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Oscar Fish

Hi,

No, that tank is not big enough to house an oscar no matter how few decorations are in there. Oscars are very messy fish that get large very quickly. A full grown oscar will reach at least 12", and is not uncommon for them to reach 14" or even larger. A fish that large would have trouble even turning around in your tank.

The other reason for needing a tank that is min 55 gal for one is due to the amount of waste oscars produce. No matter how many water changes you do, you will not be able to keep the water quality good enough in a tank that small to prevent an oscar getting all sorts of health problems as it grows, such as hole-in-the-head, stunted growth, and premature death. A 55 gal is the BARE minimum, by the way. Even that size tank is not considered good for a fully grown oscar. Realistically, you are looking at needing a 75gal minimum to comfortably and happily house one oscar for life.

Finally, if you can't afford to upgrade your tank, you probably cannot afford the filtration that an oscar requires. A filter commonly used on a 3ft tank that you may already own will not be nearly enough for an O.

I would suggest looking into cichlids that will not outgrow your tank to save yourself (and any fish you get) from heartache. For example, convict cichlids act just like their larger cousins but only grow to 5 or 6 inches. In a 3ft tank you could spoil one male convict for life, or comfortably keep a pair of them.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Oscar Fish

FishKeeper wrote: Hello Everyone,
My tank dimensions are (36'' x 15'' x 18'' ) , I have kept fish in the past though i have no experience with an Oscar , I am fully aware of the fact that majority of the fish keepers recommend a minimum of 55 Gallon , and my question may sound very lame to many experienced hobbyists on this forum , but out of hope i thought to try my luck , is there any chance or possibility that can allow me to house a single Oscar in my tank for life with no tankmates at all ??.. , my tank has 3ft length and its width is 15'' , it has no decoration at all , its an empty tank with regular substrate and the filteration and i have no plans to add any type of decoration so that enough room in my tank is there for the O to swim (by enough i mean space in my small tank , i know enough space for an O is minimum 4 feet ).. I cant afford to upgrade my tank not at this point in time atleast , and i am very keen about these lovely creatures with so much of personality. Thanks in advance

I can only echo what the other two guys have said, the simple answer is absolutely and categorically NO, this tank is not big enough for one Oscar under any circumstances.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Oscar Fish

NO. Stocking for cichlids is based on adult size of fish to be housed. In my estimation, 75GL is more on the line of bare minimum for Oscars. Take a look at this pic:

That's a 16" Oscar in a 75GL tank. (Just for a reference point, bottom width of a standard single-light aquarium light fixture is 4") Oscars are not a fish that will long suffer being kept in a small tank.

As suggested, keep cichlid species that you can house....Archocentrus & Thoricthys species would do well in the set-up you have. But until you have the wherewithal to house big cichlids, do not keep one. You are asking for heart-ache.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Oscar Fish

I have to agree with everyone about not housing an Oscar in there. I am doing a solo Oscar in a 72g bowfront and feel like it will end up being too small. :blink:

This idea is a long shot. If you absolutely are hung up on an Oscar you might try a Astronotus crassipinnis. Here is the thing, I can not find proof that this is true one way or the other. This Oscar is "rumored" to only attain 10" or so. Please note I did say "rumored". Not a lot of proof on it and adult size on the internet. I do know someone who owns one but it still a small fish and only a few months old. Wont be cheap, you can order online from www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish

Again want to stress this is not a 100% will work but a "rumored" possibility.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar Fish

If you want to use a formula to determine MINIMUM tank size, here are 2 requirements that should be met:

1. Adult fish size, according to fishbase.org, must not exceed 75% of the inside width (front to back) dimensions of the aquarium.

and

2. Tank Factor Size must be above 4, with 6 being optimal. On average adult aquarium fish reach 75% of the total length listed in fishbase.org. So the average adult oscar length is 13.5". Here's the formula:

(Length + Width) / (Fish Base Length x 0.75) = TFS

Therefore, a 13.5" oscar would be fine in an aquarium that is 48"x18" if it were not to grow any larger. I haven't seen any literature that a fish stops growing at a certain age.

Now let's use the example above of a 16" adult oscar to determine the minimum tank size for that oscar. A 48"x18" , 75 gallon aquarium is not suitable for life because a 16" oscar needs at least a 21.25" wide (front to back) aquarium. Now also taking requirement number 2 into consideration and using the TFS formula

(Length + width)/Fish total length = TFS

where TFS is at least 4.25 and Fish total Length = 16"

You need the inside dimensions of the aquarium to be at least 46.75" x 21.25". To make it easy, 120g glass aquarium for that 16" oscar would be the minimum and an excellent aquarium would be a 180g glass aquarium with the dimensions of 72"x24".

This information comes from 2 aquarium curators at zoos and a scientist from Steinhart Aquarium. See reference below.

Source: "Giant Freshwater Fishes: Caveats and Comments"; Delbeek, Hemdal, and Terrell; Amazonas Magazine, November/December 2014 Edition.

www.reef2rainforest.com/2014/06/17/how-to-estimate-the-size-aquarium-needed-for-a-given-species-of-fish/
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123, ernie, Lammergeier, Rogue_Violetta

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Oscar Fish

"This information comes from 2 aquarium curators at zoos and a scientist from Steinhart Aquarium"

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• FishKeeper
  • FishKeeper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

FishKeeper replied the topic: Oscar Fish

Okay , thank you all for the input , i am trying to get hold of a 4 feet tank with an 18'' width , holds about 67 gallon , now will that be able to house a single Oscar for life ? ( I know the tank is little over than minimum ). Thanks

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Oscar Fish

FishKeeper wrote: Okay , thank you all for the input , i am trying to get hold of a 4 feet tank with an 18'' width , holds about 67 gallon , now will that be able to house a single Oscar for life ? ( I know the tank is little over than minimum ). Thanks

Are these US or UK (imperial) gallons? Sorry, not sure where you are from. If UK, then perfectly good, and ok if US gallons, you could manage just making sure to keep up with regular frequent water changes.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds