Tiger Oscar Color Problem

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Tiger Oscar Color Problem

Are you using API Master test kit to check parameters?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phillipw311
  • Phillipw311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Re:Tiger Oscar Color Problem

No I just use what my LFS recommended to me which is just the little cup of test strips with a chart on the side. Why?? Is that a bad idea or something? Or is it not accurate?

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Tiger Oscar Color Problem

Phillipw311 wrote: WOW!!!! That's insane!!! I had no idea you had to change THAT much of the water weekly that's crazy! I just tested my water and at this very moment here's where everything's at: Nitrate-roughly 5ppm, Nitrite-.1ppm, Total hardness-roughly 12ppm, Chlorine-0ppm, Alkalinity-115ppm, pH-7.0ppm

a little concern why you have nitrate at .1ppm - i would invest in a liquid test kit as strips are not accurate at all -
www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

Test strips are extremely inaccurate and not worth the money you have spent on them. API Master test kit fresh water is what you need. You will plenty of great advice on this forum, just continue to ask.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Re:Tiger Oscar Color Problem

This is nuts. I thought I knew a lot you guys make me feel like a rookie... haha! I never knew the strips were not sufficient. I will go buy the master kit tomorrow if weather is permitting... Its super nasty and the roads are literal sheets of ice.. haha so hopefully I can tomorrow but it may have to wait till Wednesday.. I swear I didn't know you were supposed to change that much water. is that just for cichlids or for any decent sized tank??

Large cichlids are waste producing machines particularly Oscars some of the smaller community fish like guppys

ernie replied the topic: Re:Re:Tiger Oscar Color Problem

ernie wrote: Large cichlids are waste producing machines particularly Oscars some of the smaller community fish certainly not as bad. Welcome to the joys of owning Oscars.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Tiger Oscar Color Problem

In response to your initial question regarding your oscar's behavior, I agree that it's normal for young oscars to change color and behavior. However, it's possible that to many tannins leached from the drftwood too quickly. This could cause a drop in GH and yours is low at 18ppm, although your reading is total hardness. Do you know if there was a large change in your total hardness after you put in the driftwood? Do you remember the test reading for it?

Yes, the strips aren't very accurate and will end up costing you way more long term. When your oscar gets larger, larger water changes will be needed to keep nitrate levels below 10ppm. When he's full-grown 75% no less than every week or 50% twice a week is what is needed to keep those levels.

I'd highly recommend getting a python water changer to make those water changes easy. Here's a video showing one in action.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Tiger Oscar Color Problem

Holy crap! That thing is incredible! I honestly never knew such existed. haha that's awesome. along with the master kit that is on my list as well! Is it really safe to use that with filling and just pouring tap water in prior to treating it?? I feel like that would be bad for my little Oscar.. I always treat it let it settle and remove all chlorine in a bucket then pour fresh water in. I've always been too scared to pour it in with chlorine in it then treat it. I'd be especially scared with 75% of the water going in having chlorine... Thoughts?

• Thank you received: 127

streetsmart73 replied the topic: Tiger Oscar Color Problem

Phillipw311 wrote: Oh really?? I've never been one to change THAT much of the water I've always had the understanding that regardless of fish size as long as your water tests good you do 10-30% water changes once a week? I know that in certain circumstances you might need a higher % water change but if you have a well filtered tank even with a fully grown Oscar wont 75% a week or more be way too much...? I always thought you'd lose tank establishment and undergo bacteria blooms and keep running through the nitrogen cycle if you did change that much. Please, correct me if I am wrong. I need to know everything I possibly can about my Oscar, but I've always thought 30% a week was sufficient as long as you're ppm are within spec.

hi there

1. welcome to ofl.
2. honest, I perform wc on Wednesday and Saturday.
3. for my Oscars at 90% and arowana at 70%
4. and if time permits, a minor wc on Monday at 50% for all tanks.

5. my brother-in-law has another equally efficient way: daily drain off a full pail of tank water.
6. top up with a pail of water.
7. he has been doing this for more than 30 years :side: :side: :side:

"somewhere in time ... gone with the wind"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds