Dwarf Oscar/ Short Bodied Oscar

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Dwarf Oscar/ Short Bodied Oscar

Thanks for this Rocksor. I use to have lots of different kinds of distorted goldfish when I was a teenager, including lion-head, fancies, bubble-eyes, etc. I did not immediately imagine this process being applied to other fish like oscars as well. Makes sense. I think some of these techniques were developed hundreds of years ago in China, if memory serves, during the Tang Dynasty (6th-10th centuries A.D.).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slyfox1311
  • slyfox1311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

slyfox1311 replied the topic: Dwarf Oscar/ Short Bodied Oscar

So is it still possible for this fish to mate by itself then?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Dwarf Oscar/ Short Bodied Oscar

yes you can produce other oscars with the same balloon shape if you have a male and female

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Dwarf Oscar/ Short Bodied Oscar

How close is the relation between oscars and ancestors of the blood parrot?

Way too far for any interbreeding to occur, and it would be like trying to interbreed a squirrel with a rabbit....blood parrots can interbreed with many central american cichlids

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Dwarf Oscar/ Short Bodied Oscar

That only means that it may be a pure-bred oscar unless there is another cichlid with a similar body shape tot he blood parrot.

turtle lover wrote: That only means that it may be a pure-bred oscar unless there is another cichlid with a similar body shape tot he blood parrot.

There is another cichlid with a round body type, and that is a severum. It is highly doubtful that a severum was used to create the body shape of the balloon oscar or that of the blood parrot.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Dwarf Oscar/ Short Bodied Oscar

Rocksor wrote:

turtle lover wrote: That only means that it may be a pure-bred oscar unless there is another cichlid with a similar body shape tot he blood parrot.

There is another cichlid with a round body type, and that is a severum. It is highly doubtful that a severum was used to create the body shape of the balloon oscar or that of the blood parrot.

I think it is most likely for hybrids to occur within a subfamily of SA cichlid, so a cross with A. ocellatus with A. crassipinnis is possible. But it is less likely that cichlids out of the subfamily can interbreed (oscars and blood parrots). But this wouldn't explain the deformed shaped of these little guys.

It seems most likely that Rocksor's hypothesis that the techniques of ornamentalization (such as seen in bubble-eyed, fancy, other goldfish) were used to create these rather than crossbreeding of fish from different subfamilies.

• Thank you received: 4

bskelton0907 replied the topic: Re:Dwarf Oscar/ Short Bodied Oscar

Oscars cant crossbreed with any other species of fish. Kustw with other species of oscars. The balloon body can come from selective breeding or poor water conditions when they were fry

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:Dwarf Oscar/ Short Bodied Oscar

i've read through the thread and still dislike the idea..... just like heart shaped BP - urghhh....just hate it.

i believe they are breeding these short body oscar the way rocksor explained with either using egg's from BP and applying the sperm of an oscar manually.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds