Oscar moved!!

• mikestike
  • mikestike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

mikestike created the topic: Oscar moved!!

I finally got my oscar into the new 5 ft 120 gal tank. She took the move vary well. ( unfortunately my dad suffered some injuries thanks to the oscar) at the moment she is sharing the tank with 2 plecos ( medium sailfin and i don't know what the other one is but i do know that they don't get big.) I also have a 2 inch red jewel , firemouth cichlid a 10 inch black ghost knife fish and 2 5 inch silver sharks. water conditions could not be better. My nitrate level has not gone past 5 ppm and i thank seachem purigen for that. the tank still looks a bit empty though so i was thinking about adding a red severum and an electric blue jack dempsey. Ill probably get rid of the silver sharks ( they came with the tank.) The oscar has never been aggressive. So i have no problems with buying 5 inch fish for the tank. Obviously ill ad another canistrfilter to the tank if i add more fish but i wanted to know what you guys think about the additional fish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Oscar moved!!

I certainly wouldn't think about adding any more fish, I would suggest that once these fish get bigger you may find yourself finding it difficult to keep the nitrate levels down. Black knife ghost fish can get huge by themselves, then you've got your plec which has the potential to reach 24 inches, not mentioning any of the other fish.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Oscar moved!!

I agree with OFL. Your already over stocked. I have an adult Oscar and large pleco in my 125 and require 2 75% water changes a week to keep nitrates acceptable. I would start rehoming and getting prepared for final stocking. Your fish will grow fast and you'll have your hands full before you know it.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Re:Oscar moved!!

jmunroe wrote: I agree with OFL. Your already over stocked. I have an adult Oscar and large pleco in my 125 and require 2 75% water changes a week to keep nitrates acceptable. I would start rehoming and getting prepared for final stocking. Your fish will grow fast and you'll have your hands full before you know it.

What kind of filtration are you using?

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Re:Re:Oscar moved!!

mikestike wrote:

jmunroe wrote: I agree with OFL. Your already over stocked. I have an adult Oscar and large pleco in my 125 and require 2 75% water changes a week to keep nitrates acceptable. I would start rehoming and getting prepared for final stocking. Your fish will grow fast and you'll have your hands full before you know it.

What kind of filtration are you using?

For interest sake? I want to compare what ive got.just to be sure I'm giving them the best possible filtration

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Oscar moved!!

FX5 and AC110. More filtration does not mean more fish. More fish means more nitrates that are being produced. You need enough bacteria to process the amount of ammonia the fish you have are creating. The end result is more or less nitrates, depending on your stocking level.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Oscar moved!!

Im trying to setup an anairobic bacteria environment from what i have read seachem matrix and purigen is a very good media to use for lowering nitrates. in my experience it has worked very well.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

But im also aware that the oscar should not be crowded. So yeah. Maby ill hold back.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Oh. Before I forget. A long while ago i had the oscar with a banded grunter. Eventually the grunter died and the oscar got depressed if you will. She lost all her color and did not move out of the one corner...not even to eat. I got very worried and my dad had the idea of putting another fish. So i got a clown loach and it worked. Within a day or so the oscar was happy. Has anybody else ever experienced something like that?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Oscar moved!!

When I had my 125 gallon tank back in the early 2000s I had a couple of Eheim canister filters on it. The first canister filters I had where the wet/dry, I changed them after a while because I realised that these sort of canisters were really made for marine tanks where you don't get quite as much solid waste as you do with freshwater aquariums, especially Oscars. I then moved onto the Eheim 2028 Filters which were much better. It's always a good idea to completely double up the filtration and your aquarium.

This was my 125 gallon aquarium, it measured 6' x 2' x 2'. But remember the water only came up about 22 inches which made a big difference to how much the aquarium holds. If you do your calculations, it works out to be more like 150 gallons if you go by the first set of measurements.

This is the wet dry filter I use for awhile, I had one in each side of the Cabinet

That this is the 2028 canister filter, I had two of them, I would consider this to be the absolute ultimate filtration for a 125 gallon tank

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds