Oscar moved!!

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Oscar moved!!

I have several tanks of this size, including a pair of 5ft 120's. Each tank houses a single large cichlid. Nitrate control and filtration aside, when housing fish that can easily exceed a foot long, space is a major factor in overall health and well being. I would dedicate your 120 to the Oscar alone, grow it big and let it live long.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Oscar moved!!

Honestly as Dave has said, in a 5 footer I would leave the Oscar to himself as well. I have basically given my 125 gallon 6 foot tank to my Oscar. There is a pleco that is never seen much and a small male HRP that scurries in and out of the rocks in the tank as well. But the Oscar is the only front and centre display fish, and at around 12 inches, he fills the tank. As far as bio load goes, I'm considering giving the pleco to a local club member that wants it just because of the amount of water changes. The pleco has doubled them. I want a pleco bad but I've been a bit busy lately so I'd rather be doing water changes every 5-6 days instead of every 3. I may take the pleco back in the future if it goes to this guy. As for denitrator, keep in mind that other things are removed and replaced when doing water changes. We as hobbyists use the nitrate level as an indication of water change time as it's the only readily available and easy test for us to conduct. Glad to see your rethinking your stocking level and trying to do so much for your fish.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• mikestike
  • mikestike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Oscar moved!!

Ok. So what if i get rid of all the dish apart from the oscar pleco and knife. Would an ebjd be possible if i just do nore frequent water changes? Twice a week maby?

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Oscar moved!!

I have a large Oscar and Sailfin plec, both around 13ins. Tank is a 6ft125. 1 large canister and 2 large hobs. I change 75% water every 3-4days. I just now cleaned the canister after exactly 3 months. It was filthy. Fish of this size are massive waste producers. Oscar, plec and knife still leaves you overstocked for 120g and 5ft footprint. An ebjd would never survive in such a tank. They are very delicate, very prone to problems in anything but a stress free and pristine tank. I stand by my previous recommendation to have the Oscar alone in your tank.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds