Keeping oscar fish in a well

• mumbaiguy
  • mumbaiguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mumbaiguy created the topic: Keeping oscar fish in a well

I am from India. I wanted to know if I can keep Oscar fish in a well. The diameter of the well is around 15 feet and it is 30 feet deep. The temperature outside does not vary much in winter and should be between 70F to 110F throughout the year. I plan to keep around 12 Oscars. Also, since it is a big well can I do without artificial aeration? Looking forward for replies from experts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Keeping oscar fish in a well

that would be difficult to answer... 30 ft below the ground could mean less oxygen... that wouldn't be suitable for fish in there... although we had some experience of catching some shrimp living in a deepwell like that...

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Keeping oscar fish in a well

My question is why would you want to do that? Where is the enjoyment in the hobby of cichlid keeping by tossing fish into a hole in the ground? All round bad plan imo.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• mumbaiguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

mumbaiguy replied the topic: Keeping oscar fish in a well

Hi Suprd71,

I intend to breed Oscars in near future. I want to buy around 12 small Oscars, grow them to maturity and then once some of them have formed a pair, breed them. The reason I thought of putting them in the well was to give them ample moving space and not to congest them in a small tank. I don't know if this is practical. Hence, this post.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Keeping oscar fish in a well

Hello, and welcome to our community. I must admit, this is a first. In theory, if you can keep the water in the condition that an Oscar requires then yes, of course you could keep Oscars in a well. Having said that, how on earth would you maintain the whole thing? Would it be a case of staring in from the top into a dark abyss? I'm trying to picture what this would look like. And then of course when you want to take the fish out, would it be a case of lowering yourself in, buckets and rope? Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to be funny, but when I picture well, this is what I have in my head. Surely a well would be completely dark? Personally, I think it's not really a suitable place to keep fish, especially tropical fish from South America, they need an environment that resembles where they come from, even in a small way.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• mumbaiguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

mumbaiguy replied the topic: Keeping oscar fish in a well

Hi OFL,

Thanks for your revert. Like I said, the well is around 30 feet deep. I was thinking of putting a hardened net at around a depth of 5 feet. Since the diameter of the well is 15 feet, the fishes will still have a lot of space to move. Also the net will ensure that not too much of a problem is faced if we need to take the fishes out as and when required. My point behind this post is that if we try to mimic a natural surrounding wont the fishes grow faster and healthier. And wouldn't a well provide that environment conducive to its growth rather than a fish tank. I intend to keep the fishes in the well only till the time they mature and form breeding pairs. Afterwards, they will be moved to their individual breeding tanks. I surfed the internet to check if anyone has tried it out or even posted something relatively closer to what I proposed but I guess you were right.. This is a first :-) Just wondering if it is practical at all.

PS: The picture of the well is my profile picture. Just in case if you want to check out.

• Thank you received: 127

streetsmart73 replied the topic: Keeping oscar fish in a well

hi there

1. honest, I am equally concerned on your suggestion, dude.
2. the other thing is of course on the accumulated bioloading from the 12 Oscars to the waters in the well over time.
3. you need to address that too.

"somewhere in time ... gone with the wind"

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Keeping oscar fish in a well

Sounds crazy to me lol

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds