Just got back into keeping an Oscar

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Just got back into keeping an Oscar

keeping pristine water always work wonder too even if you stop medicating..
and you can also share some pics from when she was sick and when recovering...
The following user(s) said Thank You: L.West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Just got back into keeping an Oscar

It was nice of you to at least try save the oscar rather than returning it. Although it is recommended to pick a healthier oscar and that the mortality rate of baby oscar is high, at least you are giving it a 2nd chance.

• L.West
  • L.West's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

L.West replied the topic: Just got back into keeping an Oscar

She is in a 75 gallon by herself. I currently do large once a week water changes - would it be safe for me to start doing two large water changes each week - maybe every 3 days for awhile.

• L.West
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

turtle lover wrote: It was nice of you to at least try save the oscar rather than returning it. Although it is recommended to pick a healthier oscar and that the mortality rate of baby oscar is high, at least you are giving it a 2nd chance.

I knew if I took her back she would just be discarded and I couldn't let that happen without trying to give her a chance. I've had her now for 3 weeks today - and she is doing pretty good. Her poops are looking better too. Her eagerness for food is getting more and more like an oscars should be.

I am hopeful that she is going to pull through.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Just got back into keeping an Oscar

The best thing to do is test your water a few hours after you have carried out of water change. Then test the next day again. Now we are assuming that ammonia and nitrite zero, so you shouldn't have to worry about those. What you are looking at is the nitrate, in order to help Oscars get back to well-being the nitrate must be capitalised at all times. So what you could do is carry out a small water change when you see the nitrate creeping above 20 ppm. Some people may suggest keeping them at 10 ppm, however I think that would probably require a water change every day. Personally, 20 ppm and below is adequate. So you may find that with sensible feeding, you may only need to carry out of water change every few days in order to keep the nitrate from creeping up. However, small water changes on a regular basis may work out better than a large water change every few days.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Just got back into keeping an Oscar

good to know you will never give up your fish.... with proper care, it can pull through... i also never give up to any of my fish no matter how bad the situation is... i had one case of furunculosis with my flowerhorn... he was cured but recur a year later and died...

• L.West
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I am willing to give it my best shot. If she doesn't make it then at least I can say I tried everything within my power.

• L.West
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Just an update on my Albino Oscar. After two weeks of medication in the tank water and 1 week of adding meds to her food (as best I could - she was not wild about it) - she is now having poops that are 50/50 white stringy with solids mixed in.

What does this mean - will she continue to improve without further meds?? I am keeping her tank water pristine with every two days doing at least a 50% water change/vacuum.

I just need to know if I should go back to medicating her tank and/or food. Or, should I just let it run its course and see if she bounces back.

• Thank you received: 1

PeteMoss replied the topic: Just got back into keeping an Oscar

DRACO wrote: keeping pristine water always work wonder too even if you stop medicating..
and you can also share some pics from when she was sick and when recovering...

This has been my experience. The best medication is clean water. If I have fish that are stressed or sick I do 80% water changes every other day.

• L.West
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Great - Thank you. I will definitely keep up on frequent water changes and hope that she continues to improve.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds