Just got back into keeping an Oscar

• L.West
  • L.West's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

L.West replied the topic: Just got back into keeping an Oscar

Just a sad update on my little Albino. After over 3 weeks of medicating her tank and her food - she just wasn't thriving. She was very thin and stopped taking any medicated pellets. On Saturday I just decided to let her go. She was put down peacefully with Clove Oil.

I went out and got a new Tiger Oscar - hopefully I have better luck with this one. He is a lot bigger and thick bodied. He does have some pectoral fin damage due to aggression from a tank mate at the store but I was told this was nothing to worry about - it would grow back if I kept his tank pristine - which I plan to do.

I took a couple of pics - not the best pics because he is still a little skittish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Just got back into keeping an Oscar

Sorry about your Albino, you prob did the right thing. Good luck with the new guy, looks very good. FYI, the vibrant tail spot is a sign of a genetically stronger fish. No actual scientific proof of that, just my observation after 45yrs and a couple dozen Oscars. This guy should do very well. Congrats!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: L.West

• L.West
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

What are your thoughts about the frayed pectoral fins. I was told it was from an aggressive tank mate which I did witness while at the store. They told me not to add any medications at this point - just let them heal. Is this correct. Sorry I couldn't get a shot of his pectoral fins.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Just got back into keeping an Oscar

Frayed fins is no biggie. Keep the water very clean, they will grow out very quickly. Could only be a matter of a few days until you see improvement. If you look at the pic I posted last evening.. that Oscar was shredded to death's door when about 2ins. Pretty well had no fins, tail, chunks of flesh torn out. Recovered completely in about 3 weeks. As you can see, he is doing fine.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: L.West

• L.West
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

How often should I change his water while he is healing??

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds