New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

• pupfishes
  • pupfishes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

pupfishes created the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

Hello All,

I have a tank that I've had going for about 4 months and I used tiny goldfish 3/4 after I let it cycle. Water is perfect ph and no ammonia.
I put in a single tiny little feeder goldfish again ½ in to 3/4" long and thinner than a pencil. I also added a little plecostomus about three weeks ago.
Last week I added my Tiger Oscar (beautiful fish) love at first site, I named him/her Tiggy (may change to Tiggi later).

So now it has been nearly a week and I'm a little concerned. I've never had an oscar and I noticed he is so docile. He just hides in the back but now when I feed him he "just" started gobbling up his food after 6 days of pouting. I was worried but Tiggy seems to be better now.

I've been reading, reading reading and have all the parameters dialed in. I've had other types of non-cichlid fish and even salt water setups but never seen such a docile fish beside my plecostomus, but even he races around at times. Occasionally Tiggy will swim but tilts sideways sometimes. If I put my face up close to say hi, Tiggy will move a little and swim but then goes back to his spot.

Does Tiggy need a friend?

Thanks,

All

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

Usually it depends on tank size, but usually oscars are antisocial, but unlike most cichlids, will not try to kill other members of their own species.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

Welcome to our little community. How big is your aquarium?. Goldfish or cold water fish, really shouldn't be keeping them in a tropical environment. The goldfish will probably grow quite quickly and they can be very messy so well add to your bio load.

Not all Oscars are aggressive, there is a bit of a fallacy. As for the tilting sideways, this is not uncommon, I've had Oscars that do this occasionally, and you will probably find other people will say the same. Always check your water conditions if your fish are behaving strangely, you must rule out problems with the water. However, if the fish is eating then I don't think there can be too much wrong. Just give him time to settle down, once he starts getting a bit bigger you'll probably find he will come out of his shell

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

they are like puppies or children, they have there mood swings but usually come good in the end

Haku, I knew your were good.

• pupfishes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

pupfishes replied the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback.

This tank is 30gals, so after a while I realize I will need to upgrade but it seems that all the feedback thus far is correct. Tiggy is becoming more active by the day. I joined the forum at first to see if I was doing something wrong but Tiggy and I are just getting to know each other. Sometimes I have spied in the room and can see Tiggy swim until I walked. He's a rascal.

I'm going to logon and report in the future, I really like this forum!

Cheers all,

• Thank you received: 127

streetsmart73 replied the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

hi there

1. ts, in no time, the oscar will outgrow the current tank.
2. you need to look out for a bigger tank.
3. btw, oscars are literally drama queens.
4. honest, just ignore the mood swing.

"somewhere in time ... gone with the wind"

• pupfishes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

pupfishes replied the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

Tiggy is swimming around all over the place now, as though a light switched on. The feeder fish is gone and I'm feeding him a combination of Cichlid pellets, dried tiny shrimp and that's it for now. I think I'll give him a feeder fish once in a while (but one that's healthy). Evidently cheeseburgers (feeder goldfish) are just as unhealthy for fish as they're for people. It seems that fish like to know what's for dinner and not have to eat the same thing always, and that makes sense. I'm tilting towards a variety of food so that Tiggy doesn't get too picky or any moodier than when I first got him. He really does get stimulated when I put in a feeder fish for him so I want to keep him happy. Now I'm looking at other fish that will co-habitat with Tiggy over the next year before I upgrade to probably a 150 Gal.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

Try insects like crickets. They are easy to buy from pet stores and are cheap and healthy to oscars.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

I think I'll give him a feeder fish once in a while (but one that's healthy). Evidently cheeseburgers (feeder goldfish) are just as unhealthy for fish as they're for people.

goldfish are probably the worst thing you can feed your fish they carry all kinds of diseases have a lot of fat and inhibits the fish from using certain vitamins so they quite literally have negative nutrition

Now I'm looking at other fish that will co-habitat with Tiggy over the next year before I upgrade to probably a 150 Gal.

unfortunately you don't have a year your oscar will more than likely be a foot long by that time and a 30 gallon is simply too small for a fish that size
and i am sorry if i sound negative i'm just trying to help

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: New 2½-3' Tiger Oscar

Just to echo the previous comment, and expand a bit. Your 30g is very insufficient for your Oscar, even at his current size. A 4ft 55g tank will house an Oscar until he reaches 8-9ins, then that becomes too small as well. Oscar is a fast growing, high waste producing cichlid that requires lots of tankspace, even when small. Stress induced health issues will occur from not giving these fish the room they need. Water quality will also be a problem, as a growing Oscar will decay the entire volume of a 30g in a matter of a few days. If you cant get a suitable tank, 48x18 and 75gals within a very short time.. not months.. you should consider rehoming the fish until you can adequately provide for a large sized cichlid. The plain fact is, your Oscar will never reach its potential of growth, color and longevity being kept is a tank as small as 30g.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds