Jumping Oscar! CUTTING head/face up!! HELP!

• Phillipw311
  • Phillipw311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Phillipw311 created the topic: Jumping Oscar! CUTTING head/face up!! HELP!

Hello all! Long time no talk!!! I am still LOVING my tiger Oscar. I got him January 29th 2015. He was right around 2.5" when I brought him home. He's in a 55 gallon tank by HIMSELF! It is him & only him. I still don't believe that my tank has fully cycled.. -__- I keep a super close eye on it with the API master kit. I still keep getting a very small ammonia reading.. He isn't big enough yet to make it cycle. For his sake, I am scared to let the ammonia and nitrite spike up really high, so I usually perform 2 30-50% PWC weekly. I usually shoot for Saturday's and Wednesday's or Thursday's depending on how much I have going on. I am very good at keeping up with my water changes and keeping the water quality healthy.. I am borderline OCD about it since I want the very best for my little growing trophy fish!! Also, I have a basic HOB filter for a 50 gallon tank + a Fluval 306 canister. I also removed the carbon and used the opened up space for additional Biomax in my canister. But nonetheless, he is now a whopping 6"!!!!!! He's grown unbelievably fast. His personality has increased a night and day difference from what it was with age and size. He's much more friendly and curious about everything and not so prone to pouting anymore. If I messed with the tank when he was young (2-4") he would pout for HOURS on the bottom laying on his side. Now nothing really phases him. After about 5 minutes of me either cleaning décor, glass, or performing a PWC, he bounces back and is over by my chair wanting more food. Haha! Anyways, with age and size, his aggression has also grown substantially. By that I mean he now jumps out of the water to eat. He eats very aggressively now. Especially when he hasn't been fed in a while. He'll literally bite at my hand jumping out of the water trying to get the food if I don't put the food in the tank quickly enough. Point being this. I have glass tops and a Current USA Satellite LED light bar which is AWESOME. I used to leave a sliver of a gap of open space open on my glass top so that food could be dropped in from my recliner without having to get up and hold the top up every time I drop food in. That is one reason. Another reason I leave a slight gap is because me moving the glass top spooks my O. But sadly, here recently, since his aggression has grown with his size, he aggressively jumps up and knocks his head in between the gap on the top of the glass on the edge of it. Meaning his face and head keep getting cut up. He had a decent sized wound last week. Then when I woke up and went to feed him this morning I immediately noticed he'd done the same thing again in another spot on his head. I feel bad for him. That's got to hurt like a SOB and I know he isn't doing it on purpose.. Again, 75% of the time it occurs when feeding. The longer it's been since his previous meal, the more jumping prone he is. But the other 25% of the time it happens he knocks the CRAP out of the top. I always know when he is about to do it. He sees his reflection on the top and will be at the top literally vertical nose up against the surface of the water. Then He'll strike at it, coming out of the water, and knocking the stew out of the glass. Before anybody says it let me go ahead and say again that my water quality is NEVER dangerous. So I know for a fact he isn't like trying to jump out and get out of bad water. Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to prevent self inflicted pain?? Haha any help or advice would be appreciated. Also, I apologize for the length of this post.. It's been a while so I wanted to give everyone a refresher on my O and my aquarium setup so that hopefully somebody will be able to give me a straightforward answer/advice. Hopefully there is no confusion.. I tried to include all necessary details. Thanks in advance if you've read this far. Haha thanks guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Jumping Oscar! CUTTING head/face up!! HELP!

My oscar jumps and hits the top of my acrylic tank, thinking that the condensation on the top of the tank is food. What I would do in your case is to lower the water level by 2" and the keep the LED lights for off for a week and see if there is less injury due to jumping. Be sure to test for ammonia and nitrites everyday. If that helps, keep the lights off for another week but raise the water level back to normal, and see if there is any improvement. If there is, you will want to somehow block part of the lighting in the tank.

Another option would be to purchase small bubble wrap and stick it to the top of the aquarium using clear packgin tape.

• Phillipw311
  • Phillipw311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Jumping Oscar! CUTTING head/face up!! HELP!

GREAT advice Rocksor!!! Thanks a million and one times for the recs..! Haha Those are all great ideas. In my original post, I completely forgot to ask about dropping the water level 1-2". I sure meant to ask about that though.. I keep my water up to the top of the glass. Like when I fill it, I fill it up to about 1/8" away from the top glass border.. So it is very close to overflowing to say the least. Haha nonetheless, I meant to ask if dropping it a little would help. I know he's more than capable of still hitting it if he desires to even if I drop it 1-2", but I don't know if he actually would or not. Next PWC I am going to try that. It just evaporates super fast since I keep my tank temperature on the higher side (78-80F) so I always try to get as much water capacity as I can comfortably squeeze in my aquarium. Not only that, again, I am really OCD about my tank appearance & cleanliness not only for my O, but also for my peace of mind. In my mind, a water level in an aquarium that's dropped WAY below the top like 2"+ of visible room for more water on the black line (border) across the top looks like it's neglected and that much of the water has evaporated since the last time it was cleaned. I don't know how to explain it. I realize that obviously is NOT the case and wouldn't be the case by any means but that's just how it appears in my mind. But, I plan to try it as an experiment the next PWC I perform just to see if he still hits it. By the way, the bubble wrap was a GREAT idea. I literally NEVER would've thought about that. It's basically fool proof too. Haha thanks for the advice again it is VERY much so appreciated.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Jumping Oscar! CUTTING head/face up!! HELP!

this topic was posted by Penn at FB... i know oscar to be a jumper, the reason why i always fill the tank up to 3/4 level only... giving more space above...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds