Dominance flip flop / growth rates?

• cremator
  • cremator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

cremator created the topic: Dominance flip flop / growth rates?

I've got 2 oscars, a few months old. They were the same size at purchase but now it seems like they have a large growth gap between them. I have noticed that my tiger has started being way more agressive during feeding, even to the point of jumping out of the water to steal food. Whats weird to me (first time raising oacars) is that just a few weeks back, my albino was more agressive and was always first to eat. My question is, is this a common situation, as far as dominance reversal? Or is the fact my tiger oscar is growing faster making him the more dominant one?

Side by side

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Dominance flip flop / growth rates?

I think you have basically said it yourself, this does sound like a dominant issue. Whether you have two males is something we couldn't say for sure at the moment. However, it seems that the larger Oscar is trying to show the other one who is boss. You are not alone, many of us have been in the same situation before. This could work out perfectly okay, if the other Oscar accepts the other one is being the dominant one then it may be okay. However, it could turn out that the Tiger Oscar is very aggressive towards the other Oscar. I think you just have to wait and see what happens in the coming months. If it turns out that the Tiger Oscar is being very aggressive and causing physical harm than it may be a case that you will have to remove one of them, but just wait and see what happens, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Dominance flip flop / growth rates?

The Tiger could also be a genetically stronger fish, will naturally grow quicker and likely end up bigger. Not that it is any "better" than the other, just different. I've had many Oscars over many years, all different to a degree. If you have 2 males, its very odds against of long term compatibility.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds