Difference between long finned oscars and veil finned oscars?

• spoliziani
  • spoliziani's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

spoliziani created the topic: Difference between long finned oscars and veil finned oscars?

Hi all, I am new here and this is the first time I am using this forum! I was wondering if there is a difference in veil finned Oscars and long finned Oscars. I have tried finding information online and am having no luck. We have had our (long finned) albino tiger Oscars for about 5 months now and while their fins definitely look longer than original Oscars, they don't look like the veiled ones, yet. If anyone has any information or pictures on what the differences are or if they are different, I would really appreciate the information! Thanks! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Difference between long finned oscars and veil finned oscars?

Welcome to our community. The veil tale Oscar is just a genetically modified Oscar that has been developed to have longer fins. So when you refer to it as a long finned Oscar, is there really any difference in the fish? I would probably say no, people are just giving you a different name.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• spoliziani
  • spoliziani's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

spoliziani replied the topic: Difference between long finned oscars and veil finned oscars?

Thank you for the information. When we bought them, they were labeled as long finned and when I look at pictures of veil finned, the fins do not look like my Oscars. My Oscars still have the rounded fins but they are much longer than normal Oscars. Im wondering how they will look once theyre full grown. I know the veiled Oscars have the long flowy fins and that's just not what mine are looking like right now. Hmm, maybe they will change. Im curious to see.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Difference between long finned oscars and veil finned oscars?

My guess is the store owner probably thought they were this type of Oscar and just label them as long finned Oscars. He may not actually have much experience with Oscars, many fish shops don't sell them. Oscars to change considerably from what they are as juveniles, not only in colouration but also in shape as well sometimes. Give it a few more months and you will get your answer.

What you have to remember is you would need somebody who was purposely breeding veil tails for the market. There's probably quite a lot involved and I would suggest there isn't really a massive market for them. That's probably why you don't see them very often

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: spoliziani

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Difference between long finned oscars and veil finned oscars?

veil tail oscar and long fin oscar is one and same...
people just call them differently for discription....
look at my signature pic, one big vto with small one.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Difference between long finned oscars and veil finned oscars?

Can you post a picture of your fish? My Bumblebee Oscar has longer fins than standard line-bred oscars but is not as long as the veil tailed.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds