Buy juvenile oscars from single or community tanks?

• THQ
  • THQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

THQ created the topic: Buy juvenile oscars from single or community tanks?

Hi, I'm setting up a 6ft oscar tank which will have a single red tiger oscar and some mates such as severum, and other semi-aggressive SA cichlids.

Now most of the fish shops around my area sell baby 2 inch oscars in 2ft tanks where there's about 20 of them all together, sometimes with other species. My LPS, which actually is run by a pretty decent guy who likes fish and looks after them, has a 15-20 gal tank just dedicated at any one time to a single oscar. They keep the oscar in there from around 2 to 5 inches, then usually sell him by then and get another one to start the cycle again.

My question is, for my setup where I have other cichlids in my oscar tank, should I get oscars who have grown up with other fish and have gotten used to them, or the ones from single tanks who have been alone?? I'm worried the community ones have been overcrowded and stressed in their tanks, but I also worry about the single oscars being unused to other fish and either too aggressive or too timid. Or does it not matter, as cichlids may totally change their temperament/behaviour when they get to sexual maturity??

What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Buy juvenile oscars from single or community tanks?

I would go for the fish that has been alone. 2in Oscars are about 3 months old, but still babies. Its unlikely that they have any territory or aggression traits coming thru yet. It will be a whole new world upon entering your tank, and all your new fish will likely sulk and hide for a few days until they settle in. If you get an Oscar of 4-5ins, be aware that the fish is in his growth spurt months and will rapidly outgrow any other cichlids you have. Try for the smallest possible, and for Sevs and others, much bigger than Oscar.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• THQ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

THQ replied the topic: Buy juvenile oscars from single or community tanks?

Ok cool thanks. That was my gut reaction too. The single oscar always looks well taken care of, and will suffer less from stress and overcrowding than the others.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Buy juvenile oscars from single or community tanks?

well, oscar being keep proeprly always has an advantage...
if they have same price, i will go with that one than the other
that are being kept by bulk...

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Buy juvenile oscars from single or community tanks?

All of the fish stores I've been to always have the small tanks full of babies can't say I've seen a store with small Os alone only adults. I like. Buying babies vs a 4 5 inch fish. Is that a problem or bad idea? I like watching them grow completely. When I get my new O should I be searching for a store that has them single and not from a stocked tank of babies??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• THQ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

THQ replied the topic: Re:Buy juvenile oscars from single or community tanks?

Yeah out of the 10 or so fish shops I've been to it's only that one shop that had the single juvenile oscar setup, which I like. The little guy in there was the whole reason I decided to take the plunge and start keeping oscars in the first place! You may have trouble finding one like that.

It's only because I can tell the store manager, unlike a lot of pet chain store staff, actually cares about fish. He even has African cichlids separated into species only tanks with correct water parameters for each lake. Substrate, decor, hiding places and plants all thought of and appropriate for each tank and its inhabitants. The water is always pristine and I have never seen a dead fish in his tanks. He keeps single bettas in at least 10 gallon tanks, never jars. He refuses to sell goldfish bowls or fish to people to want to keep them in bowls. He takes the time to explain cycling and won't sell a fish until he knows their tank is cycled. I have personally overheard him telling customers this, and lose sales on the day, but I think everyone appreciates his honesty and integrity. All the large tanks he sells come with a well built sump with all appropriate media provided.

Pretty impressive for a chain store that sells dog food and cat toys as well. He also only has kittens for adoption that are from abandoned/lost cat shelters, not breeders. Prices are quite competitive too. Not all pet chain stores are bad. It really depends on the store manager as well.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Buy juvenile oscars from single or community tanks?

Vinny wrote: All of the fish stores I've been to always have the small tanks full of babies can't say I've seen a store with small Os alone only adults. I like. Buying babies vs a 4 5 inch fish. Is that a problem or bad idea? I like watching them grow completely. When I get my new O should I be searching for a store that has them single and not from a stocked tank of babies??

It doesn't matter if you buy the juvenile oscars that are crammed into a tank or if there is just 1. Buy one that looks good to you and doesn't have any sign of sickness. If it is doing the feed me dance then that is good. If it is ignoring you, then ask the fish store to feed it a little and see if it eats.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Buy juvenile oscars from single or community tanks?

That's usually what I look for. Thanks

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds